best 9' downrigger rod for a decent price?

Enniberg

I was recently gifted a Islander TR3, a reel that costs 3+ times as much as anything I have owned before, and now I need a good rod to pair it with. I fish alone a fair bit and prefer using a 9' rod as netting a fish with a 10'6 single handed is beyond my skill level. What do the Sportfishingbc experts recommend?

I've been using R3EF 9ft downrigger rods for a few years. Carbon slick butt, cork grip. I like them quite a bit. $179 $169 at Highwater Tackle in NVan (edit: I was at HW yesterday and the R3EF rod is $169)

Last edited:
Many of these branded rods seem to be an Okuma blank with seats and eye choices by the selling company, or a standard Okuma just with different branding.

I've been using R3EF 9ft downrigger rods for a few years. Carbon slick butt, cork grip. I like them quite a bit. $179 at Highwater Tackle in NVan

I have 2 R3EF 9' rods. As much as I would like to give them 2 thumbs up as BC made rods, I can't. I've had problems with both.

I love the action but the quality just isn't there. Pacific Net and Twine replaced one bottom but the replacement and another have the same issues. The rod twists inside the handle.

The line is coming off the reel with a 90° twist to the guides. You can realign them but it goes straight back when you put the line down again. On one rod one of the ceramic guides came off within the first two months of use.

I love my Okuma SST now.

Tfo is my favorite 9 ft. Trophy xl also makes one at a good price, its also branded as the tyee marine rod.

I also have a Trophy XL 9ft. I don't like it as much as the R3EF for 2 reasons:
1. Trophy XL reel seat is 1" closer to the butt end of the rod compared to R3EF. Makes the reel feel too close to my body, plus, depending on what rod holders you've got the reel may bottom out on the deck before the butt hits the internal end of the rod holder (as is the case for my flush-mount rod holders)
2. The Trophy XL has a rubbery foam upper grip instead of cork. I prefer cork.
3. Trophy XL has gold bands on the reel seat. Gold is not my jam

I had Berkley Rough Neck for 35 years. I owned 5 of them. Best 9ft rod made my opinion. They are not made anymore. I talked to some guides etc and they were all using 9ft REEF rods. Never heard of them. Did a trial. I really like them. I bought two. Used for 1 year. They are really stiff to start but once catch a few fish and up and down on downrigger they are good to go. I bought 3 more. So I have 5 now. I have only done one hard season on them. So still standing up. Not sure I will ever have rods like berkley rough necks. The TFO's are nice as well. But didnt like the price for just cork handles.

I had Berkley Rough Neck for 35 years. I owned 5 of them. Best 9ft rod made my opinion. They are not made anymore. I talked to some guides etc and they were all using 9ft REEF rods. Never heard of them. Did a trial. I really like them. I bought two. Used for 1 year. They are really stiff to start but once catch a few fish and up and down on downrigger they are good to go. I bought 3 more. So I have 5 now. I have only done one hard season on them. So still standing up. Not sure I will ever have rods like berkley rough necks. The TFO's are nice as well. But didnt like the price for just cork handles.
The reef rod seem to use the same eyes as some of the mid range Okuma and a few others, and that little chrome centerpiece pops out of some of the eye frames.

I’m one of those annoying Shimano guys. I beat the crap out of my rods with total irreverence and replace them every 3 years. At 50 bucks a rod, the TDR is incomparable. Never had a problem and it’s about the right stiffness.

Back