Bere Point Boat Launch

Redders

Heading to Malcom Island for a few days camping at Bere Point. Has anyone used the boat launch there? Have a 16' tinny I'm thinking of taking and was wondering what tides are launchable and which the best tide chart is for that area. Many Thanks!

Heading to Malcom Island for a few days camping at Bere Point. Has anyone used the boat launch there? Have a 16' tinny I'm thinking of taking and was wondering what tides are launchable and which the best tide chart is for that area. Many Thanks!
There is a basic ramp at the campsite for smaller boats. You might have to clear the high tide logs off the ramp to use it. Most folks anchor their boats out and use a dingy or paddle board to get out to the boat.

There is a basic ramp at the campsite for smaller boats. You might have to clear the high tide logs off the ramp to use it. Most folks anchor their boats out and use a dingy or paddle board to get out to the boat.
Thanks! Am familiar with the area and camped there a few times but never paid any attention to the boat launch. Just planning on trolling off the kelp beds close by weather permitting.

I've launched from that ramp quite a few times - you definitely need a 4x4 because the gravel can be loose. As well as the aforementioned logs on the ramp, some storms can scour the gravel away from the bottom of the ramp - last time I launched there, it was nearly a 1 foot drop off the ramp onto the gravel. It was quite exciting getting back up towing the boat - 16' open Skookum Sealer.

The fishing is good in the bay off the campsite, and up the shore from Bere Pt to Malcolm Pt -- which is a good direction to fish if you're expecting westerly - you can run back with it, and duck inside the kelp beds. Black Bluff is good, too, but the wrong direction to go if you're expecting westerly. I've caught 4 species of salmon plus halibut right there.

Back