Bella Bella / Shearwater

• Thread starter Thread starter chris9464
  • Start date Start date
C

chris9464

Hey guys I am planning a trip up to Denny Island leaving on the 19th of July. Never been up that way before just wondering what to expect ( besides BIG fish ) We are planning to Camp at Shearwater. We are planning to drive from Maple Ridge. Any one taken this trip before ?? any pointers ??

Spent some time up just south in Hakai.. Your hitten some primetime for that area.. If possible, key in on the outer most sides as the Rivers run is basically rippen through Milbanke with every tide..

As for big fish, it sounds like the year of the cookie cutter.. From Langara to Sooke the word seems to be numerous fish in the 16 to 25lb. mark. And lots of them if your in the right place.. My guess might be an abundance of above size feeders keepin up with the migratory's.. Who know's, the records that I kept are definately taking a major turn towards not knowing what to expect..Good luck-dirty

I've done the trip 5 times, via Ferry 4 times, and boated there once.

Are you boating up to Shearwater via Hardy or Bella Coola or are you taking the ferry? Tent, Camper, or Sleeping on Board? The road to Shearwater is under water most of the year.

Shearwater is a great place to base out of for Milbanke Sound. Generally Shearwater sends their fleet to the St John's Harbour area, however I have been there years where they favour Cultus Sound (think Spider Island) or McInnes Light (long run, open water). For the most part you cannot go wrong fishing anywhere from Cape Swaine to Cape Mark. You will quickly figure out the hotspot there by the number of Aluminium Lodge boats. I've had great success in other areas though so don't get fixated on that one spot. Other areas work a try are Ivory, and (Billy) Idol Point. The run to the outside is about 45 minutes, past Cape Swaine (very lumpy usually) the water flattens out a fair bit to St John's Harbour. Go there and beyond. The guides have a set trolling pattern, I believe it is counterclockwise, don't worry they will tell you if your wrong.

When the bite is on, pretty well anything works. Some guys favour Cutplug, but we found that requires a lot of attention due to all the feeders and shakers. The day two Coho followed my Downrigger clip to the surface, I found my favourite colour spoon. Anything with Chartreuse. Grab some Coyote's or Dymara's.

Shearwater has pretty well everything you need. Washroom/Showers are clean, Laundrymat. The Pub has good eats. The store has basic tackle.

Life around there revolves around the Barge. If the Barge is late, you may be waiting for Fuel or Supplies so be prepared. Keep the tanks full. Bring backup gear, especially for the Downriggers.

The campground is big gravel most suited for Campers. We tented there, but you need some cardboard or something to flatten the ground out so you don't put a hole in your floor.

Mike and Jason at the Sportfish Centre are very helpful. Their bread and butter are lodge guests, but time permitting they will help you out. I believe they will still freeze (and process) your catch for a small fee. Salt Ice is available at the Fish Plant in McLouglin Bay.

Make sure you get to know the area. The run from Shearwater towards Dryad has a few shoals by the Islands you see them at low tide but not necessairly at higher tides. Heading out Seaforth Channel is fairly straight forward there is one series of Rocky Islands that jut out significantly a few miles past Dryad. If your following the shore in the fog you'll notice their dark mass just before ... .

If your lauching there and the boat launch is blocked talk to the Wharfinger, she will be your contact for Camping and Mooring as well.

Good Luck, it's worth the effort.

Thanks Guys, great info. I think I'll print it out and take it with me. We'll be loading the camping gear in the boat and heading out to Denny Island, Shearwater. Should be a fun trip as we are taking Grampa and 3 of my 4 Boys aged 12, 13 and 15 should be a great bonding time with no time to fight ( Hopefully to busy pulling Salmon and Halibut ) Thanks for the replies and hopefuly the Sockeye fishing will be HOT and open when we get back after
July 24th.

Chris

No problem, but we expect a report when your back.

Last year the Humpbacks put on quite a show around Duncamby and the mouth of River's. Make sure those camera batteries are charged.

If your going by boat, you can duck out at Hakai and put the rods in at Spider Island to break up the trip before going into Queen's Sound.

quote:Originally posted by chris9464

Hey guys I am planning a trip up to Denny Island leaving on the 19th of July. Never been up that way before just wondering what to expect ( besides BIG fish ) We are planning to Camp at Shearwater. We are planning to drive from Maple Ridge. Any one taken this trip before ?? any pointers ??

HI-PLANING A TRIP TO DENNY ISLAND ON JULY 18 .IS TO EARLY FOR KOHO- ? LARRY
HI-PLANING A TRIP TO DENNY ISLAND ON JULY 18 .IS TO EARLY FOR KOHO- ? LARRY
If you are fishing Milbanke area make sure to try Cheney Point, Cheney 2, Cape Swaine, Cape Mark, the Notch, McInnes lighthouse, the rockpile, Ivory Island and Idol Point.
There should be decent amount of Coho around. the old standby was cut-plug herring at 37 - 47' but the last few time we did good with anchovies with a red flasher or by themselves and dummy flashers

NOTE:Shearwater Marine & Resorts was sold to Heiltsuk FN (Bella Bella band) who took over officially July 1st. We were there the day before. Things are in a state of flux. Heiltsuk First Nations were demanding boaters not go ashore ir fish in 'their territories' although what I noticed was most visiting sporties were just being cautious in not flaunting their gear or such while near the village.
Your mileage may vary, We went south to Rivers...

Back