Beer.....boats......& BC

• Thread starter Thread starter SIR
  • Start date Start date
S

SIR

Okay, being an Ontario boy this beer in a boat thing in BC is taking me some time to figure out.

In Ontario if you own a boat and it doesn't have a head and a rack you aren't allowed to even have liquour on board. If you have a head and a rack (and a bucket and a sleeping bag don't count) the only time you are allowed to consume it is at anchor.

Things seem a wee bit different in the wild west.... There seems to be very little in the way of what "the law" is in BC published on the web other than that "drunk driving" is going to get you in the same pickle as if you were in your car.

Anyone know what the "law" in BC is? Anyone know what the RCMP actual policy is and how consistent it is across the province? Anyone EVER been given a ticket for passengers "drinking in a public place" while on a small boat???

I'd prefer not to find the answer out to this question the expensive way.....

it's not legal, however it's still done...
i would think if there was an accident blamed on consumption
there would be severe repercussions.

If it is a pleasure boat, just like Ontario, it has to have a galley, a berth, and be at anchor. HOWEVER, if you are a small commerical vessel, you can't sell booze, but coming straight from Boris Glazar, the regs do not mention alchohol at all. As he explained it to me, there are NO regulations regarding passengers or open alchohol on a small commercial boat.

Thanks LC.

Now I get to decide if I want to allow beer on board and test the theory... We have a LOT of RCMP inspections in our area... To date I've just not allowed it but one or two cold ones on a hot day when the fishin is slow would be a nice way to fill the time between strikes... but not if I'm going to end up with a huge fine...

Probably the commercial fishermen driving the lack of regulations in this area. I know the Lund gerneral stores beer sales go WAY up during commercial prawn season :D Wonder if that had anything to do with last weeks ramming incident between prawn boats....

As a rule, I usually don't allow drinking by my guests. Whatever the rules and regulations are, when someone slips and bangs their head,or puts a gaff through their arm, it is just one less thing for my insurance adjuster to deal wtih. I can only imagine how it must look to Search and Rescue pulling up to a boat with empties floating around the hull like a WWII D-Day Armada LOL.

OK this is from Transport Canada and I always add it in when giving my part of the Power Squadron Course

Driving a Boat Under the Influence of Alcohol
Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.
Operators with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood are liable to the following fines :

1st offence: at least $600 fine
2nd offence: at least 14 days of imprisonment
3rd offence: at least 90 days of imprisonment
The maximum sentence may vary depending on provincial statutes.

Consumption of Alcohol on Boats
Alcohol may be consumed on board the pleasure craft if it meets all of the following conditions:

The vessel has permanent sleeping facilities
The vessel has permanent cooking facilities
The vessel has a permanent toilet
The vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock
See the part in Red

Thanks everyone, that cleared it right up for me :D

As clear as the vis off our float this afternoon anyway.....

For being such liberals you are really funny about your alcohol can only purchase it in a liquor store and no drinking while boating. But you can grow pot and not go to jail. Who is running your country?:D

As reported to me this year by a CO, all the calls that he responded to for a distress were from men consuming booze while fishing. Of the calls, all men were found dead from drowning or not found at all.It was reported that everyman fell overboard while emptying his bladder.
Is it really worth it??????

[8D]

Hey BlackDog - I wrote the response, read it and decided not to post it..... but I'm glad someone did :D

Hey Black dog and Battaglino, by golly I think it is GEORGE BUSH. :(

A F$*(# idiot can't wait until he is retired back in Texas. We can still drink beer on our boats.

Generally I will let guests bring a couple beers each for the day.
I limit it to only a couple. Period.
I've only once, two years ago, refused to let clients board the boat.
Two of the three were still blotto from the night before and I kept the deposit for the trip.
I don't consume, ever, while running the boat, but I understand having a cold one on a hot summer day enjoying the sun and all.
What this ex flat lander still can't understand is the need for fireworks at Halloween...whats with that? (another thread...)
I've been stopped lots and as long as the boys can see that there is responsible adults on board, there usually isn't an issue.

Thanks Blue, that's along the lines of where I was thinking of going but it's nice to here that the practice seems to be gnerally accepted by the boys with the flashing lights.

Haven't been stopped yet this year!!! Not sure where all the DFO boys are... usually during prawn season I'm getting stopped every few days.... this year haven't even seen them around....

blue

As a charter operater you would have to be out of you mind to drink any alchol while operating. I'm not sure I would even let anyone drink worring that they might fall in. Ok I have to ask where the drunks americans. :)

Back