BC First Nations want right to kill salmon-snatc

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=e41a354e-022f-431e-a165-d0e8459705af
B.C. First Nations want right to kill salmon-snatching seals

Brian Lewis
Canwest News Service

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

VANCOUVER - Competition among groups harvesting steadily declining salmon stocks on British Columbia's lower Fraser River has become so fierce that one group of fishermen is now seeking regulatory approval to shoot and kill an arch-rival.

Sto:lo First Nation fishermen, whose traditional salmon fishing grounds stretch about 170 kilometres from Vancouver to the Fraser Canyon, are fighting an escalating battle for salmon with their most wily competitor - the harbour seal.

"The seals are very clever and watch us set up on the river then rush in and take the salmon right out of our nets," says Sto:lo fisherman Ken Malloway. "I've actually had a seal rip a fish right out of my hands."

The problem of seals snatching salmon - which is also a basic food source for aboriginal people - has reached a point where native fishermen increasingly are forced to shoot so-called nuisance seals.

And word on the river is that other fishing groups shoot seals periodically as well.

However, shooting seals in B.C. is illegal without a permit issued by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

DFO issues these permits regularly to fish farm operators so that they can legally shoot seals that damage nets and eat their fish.

"We want to be able to protect wild salmon stocks in the same way so we should be able to get these permits as well," says Malloway.

Adds Ernie Crey, the Sto:lo Tribal Council's fisheries adviser: "Some of our fishermen lose their entire catch to seals. It's like the seals are eating the food right off our tables and declining fish stocks only make this problem worse."

But even though DFO sets the rules regarding seals and salmon, it doesn't appear to be strictly enforcing them.

That's why Crey and the Sto:lo Tribal Council are now calling for a firm, upfront DFO policy on how natives should deal - legally - with fish-feasting seals.

"I don't like the idea that our fishermen need to glance over their shoulders each time they must kill a seal," Crey says.

"A DFO policy on seal kills, designed in consultation with the aboriginal community, would guide both DFO fisheries officers and the aboriginal community."

DFO spokeswoman Diane Lake says the Sto:lo can certainly apply for a "nuisance seal licence" and their application would be reviewed like any request from the fish farm sector.

Her department has also been running an experiment on the Fraser this summer which utilizes an "electronic deterrence" devise to keep seals away from fishing grounds.

"It seems to be somewhat effective but the trial is continuing," she adds. "But remember, seals are part of our eco-system too."

Crey acknowledges that the practice of killing nuisance seals will upset environmentalists and animal rights groups.

Spokesmen for the David Suzuki Foundation and Vancouver-based Lifeforce Foundation could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

"But we're not talking about a cull here, only about nuisance seals that take our fish and won't go away," Crey says.

"Noise doesn't deter them either, because they're very smart animals and learn very quickly."

Safety is another concern.

Crey says that during a recent Sto:lo Tribal Council meeting on the seal issue which was attended by the RCMP it was agreed that using shot guns rather than rifles is preferred when seals must be shot. A rifle bullet can skip off the water and pose serious risk to anyone on the nearby shore, he said.

And the seal problem will likely worsen.

While salmon stocks continue their decline the seal population on the lower Fraser River, which in the last count in 2000 was roughly 1,600, is expanding at about 12 per cent annually, according to the University of B.C. Fisheries Centre.

© Vancouver Province 2008

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Highlights:

Down Boy, your missing the point. The good news is that they are at least talking about culling them. The only way there is going to be a reduction is if the Natives say so. I just hope they don't limit it to the rivers. Same thing with the farms, if the Natives band together they could put enough pressure on the Government to actually do something. I understand what your saying but take the good with the bad.

???? Seems to me the natives hunted the seals years ago , why the question of seals rights ? , they have a right to be hunted !
Great idea , would like to see a market created for the seal flesh and skins , and why not open the seal cull to other user groups ?
Oh right ........... how do we monitor the total overall cull to ensure specie survival , this would take co-operation between all groups and we are only capable right now of sniping at each other.

AL

Sorry for the strong remark, but when we start reducing ourselves to place blame on the natural order of species I just shake my head. What we have to remember is that in the grand scheme of things humans are a zero in the equation of natural balance. We start to cull seals and that will throw everything out of whack. We are desperate to squeeze every last ounce out of this fishery that is so much in despair. Where would it stop? Whales, eagles, otters, etc. All of these have already been effected by our pollution, logging, habitat loss, over harvesting, man the list goes on . The seals seem like such a last ditch attempt at something that has such ramifications elsewhere.

Again no offence meant here guys Just my opinion.

Some are worried about seals but others like myself are just a TAD more concerned with the bears that are coming into populated areas. On Saturday a co-workers mom has pics of a black bear entering her Sooke homestead WITH her cub 5 minutes after her grandchildren were playing in the EXACT same area. Guess what Wild and Game told her? thank you..we'll look into the matter as SOON as we can get someone out there. HUH,, I think we have bigger priorities at this moment than seals. [B)]

Like high... just my opinion. :)

quote:Originally posted by Mrtrailer

Some are worried about seals but others like myself are just a TAD more concerned with the bears that are coming into populated areas. On Saturday a co-workers mom has pics of a black bear entering her Sooke homestead WITH her cub 5 minutes after her grandchildren were playing in the EXACT same area. Guess what Wild and Game told her? thank you..we'll look into the matter as SOON as we can get someone out there. HUH,, I think we have bigger priorities at this moment than seals. [B)]

Like high... just my opinion. :)
just p/o at situation at hand. seal story is important news too. [:I]

Why couldn't seals be hunted like deer or moose or whatever?

Mmmmmm seal stu[}:)]

gonefishingsign.gif

quote:Originally posted by just4fun

its on my wife lice to hunt seal but u can not eat it is what it say
quote:Originally posted by Klob

Any english teachers out there?

I am. I think he meant to say either a) My wife has a license to hunt seal but since it doesn't taste very good, what's the point, or b) My wife has lice. You can't eat seal.

Jimmy, get a grip; you're way out of line.

OOOPS I guess your telling me I needed permission....;)

I am interested to hear from you guys how I am out of line.
The natives abuse the salmon stocks and instead of changing thier ways they want tocry about the seals for stealing whats left of the salmon stocks out of thier nets. If the natives gave a $#!& about the salmon stocks they wouldn't be fishing in the first place.
I agree the seel stocks are out of control and need to be controlled but so are the natives fishing habits and that to me is a bigger issue than the seals. So who is worse the seals or the natives?
The natives break the law and protest fish.The natives break the law and sell the fish they catch ilegally and now the natives want legal permission to shoot seals.The law is the law! Is it OK to break the law and then expect the law to protect you when you need it?

Jimmy,

unfortunately the fisheries regulations only apply to first nations when they choose to abide by them.
when they choose not to follow the regs, DFO and gov't agencies will not press charges because it stirs up a huge political hotpot.

We all have our opinions, wrong or right and we have a right to voice them.
it's a matter of how you do it that can get people riled up.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Tell you what "jimmy" take a look at your posts advocating shooting people and you have gone over the line , you are promoting genocide and murder of people , pure and simple it is hate mail of the worst kind.
You are also profoundly ignorant of the issues behind what the FN do in a conservation order of things , I know personally and have seen the efforts to maintain hatcheries and ensure fish stocks by FN personnel who have a vested interest in salmon survival , they are asking permission to cull a species which had hunting and natural predation control it in the past , you are advocating shooting people ........big difference.
You also ignore the countless other cultural groups who illegally fish , trap and hunt to concentrate your vituperation on a single group of people , you are simply prejudiced and that type of person and comments do not belong on this site !

AL

It wasn't the FN that raped the fishery until there was nothing left. I hate to break it to you but it was good ole whitey that did that all on our own. Granted maybe some bands go over the line these days on the Fraser but if you add up the numbers I think it would be painfully obvious over history who the guilty party is whith regards to over harvesting wild salmon.

JIMMY "the troll"...says.."The natives abuse the salmon stocks and instead of changing their ways..."

OMFG Jimmy.. Are you that bone headed? You need to educate yourself</u> on this subject as your schooling obviously didn't have Native rights as a course. Why the hell should we change anything, we have been fishing since way before white people came here, when the whites arrived there was enough fish to literally walk on. Ever since the whites started fishing the stocks have declined, now to a point where it is getting harder for us Natives to catch the fish we are entitled to, so we fish more, vicious cycle no doubt but don't try blaming us for white people almost completely wiping out the salmon stocks of the coast. Even the guys in this forum are part of the problem. If a particular river system produces a lot of returning salmon the word spreads and them you have a fleet of 500 or more sports boats working away on the fish. But even that is just a drop in the hat to what DFO has managed to do with the stocks and they still let the commercial guys hammer them whenever they get the chance.
I'm sure that if other user groups further down the food chain would lay off the Salmon then perhaps Natives would consider it, but if there is any kind of Sport or Commercial opening on the fish then obviously with our priority access to the resource it is a given that Natives will fish too. Basically we've had the **** end of the stick for far too long so don't expect us to lay off the fish while there is a sporty fishing anywhere on the coast! I'm off to go food fishing now Jimmy have yourself a nice day:D

As for the offing of these seals I figured sporties would be all for it, I don't like a seal stealing my fish anymore than the next guy.

PS I know I shouldn't encourage trolls like Jimmy but something had to be said!

Craven.. It isn't a matter of abiding by fisheries regulations, as they simply do not apply! The only regulation I need to abide by was signed by James Douglas!

Craven.. It isn't a matter of abiding by fisheries regulations, as they simply do not apply! The only regulation I need to abide by was signed by James Douglas!

So you mean to tell me when DFO put a total closure for Sockeye on the Fraser for all user groups, it does not apply to you ??[V]

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Back