Bayliner 192 Discovery for fishing??

• Thread starter Thread starter Shark Bait
  • Start date Start date
S

Shark Bait

Hey! Looking for some feedback on this one...
I was just down in the States looking for a good saltwater fishing boat, trailerable, 18-22'. I only had time to look in Washington, but I gotta say that there was not much worth looking at.

Everything in my price range $20-25K was older hull, high hours on OB, and most had been stored outside and not well looked after.

While I was down there, I also looked at some newer boats at Olympic Boat Centers (yes, I know...groan...Bayliner), but it is the only thing that my budget can afford right now.

The 1802 Trophy orginally caught my eye, but the boat show price of $23000 is no longer available (and no self bailing deck and only 115hp).

The other option that the dealer mentioned that a lot of fishermen were going for was the 192 Discovery. Mercruiser sterndrive in 3.0L or 4.0L V6, self bailing, deep V hull, lots of fishing room aft and a kick butt canopy covering the entire center to aft area. Brand new, 6 year warranty, trailer, canopy, for $23,900...

What I would like to know is if anyone has had any experience with this boat for fishing (I will be looking to use off Port Hardy area) or any feedback generally on this idea??

I've always run with outboards...

So, Bayliner bashing aside...would like to hear what you think?!

Sharkbait

Check out this boat. Better than any tuperware boat:D[:p][:0] and only a few $ above what you are looking for.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=1911096#post1911096

Low hours, rigged with some electronics and easy to trailer. I have a 18' Searunner and tow it with an old Toyota truck. It has a 115 and 8T yammies for power and will cruise very nicely at 30 mph at 3900 rpm. Rides nice and is roomy and stable.

Also have you checked out www.Craiglist.org? One of the best places to look for good used boats.

Good luck and have fun boat hunting

SS

From what I see, the 192 Discovery looks like a lake boat most suited for waterskiing and pulling tubers. The open bow is useless and would just constantly get wet. Centre Consoles are popular in warmer climates, but the majority of boats around here have closed bows and offer a dry place to store gear or sleep. My first question would be what would you use the open bow for? The low sloping windshield, will also mean a canvas that you could probably not come close to standing up underneathe, and it really helps to have the rear half uncovered when fishing as even the highest canvas does not allow you to move a 10.5 rod effectively. The 87 litre fuel tank is a little small. My Campion 542 carries 200 litres in comparison, and having enough fuel is never a problem. Other considerations with a Inboard is whether or not Fresh Water cooling is included, my guess is it would be another $1000 add on as that looks like a lake boat.

My advice would be to get the Trophy if you want a fishing boat, or get the Bayliner if you want a ski boat. You are gonna spend a chunk of change and if you are not happy you will spend more in the long run.

As for the Boat Show price not being available that is pure BS. There is always deal to be had, and if you have a number from the Boat Show, start with that, pick up the phone and start making offers, what is it gonna cost to call 20 Trophy Dealers the least you will end up with is a baseline price.

I ended up with Campion 542, which does have a Self-Bailing deck and does fine with a 115.

Buy the Boat you want and not the one the dealer wants to unload.

Thanks for the input guys...yeah I checked out Craig's list and we had a look at most of them in the Washington area. Again, old hulls (1989-1992) with outboards with high hours.

SeaWolf thanks for your two cents...the boat that I was actually looking at was the cuddy cabin Discovery. No open bow, so the wasted space and low windshield not so much of a problem. I too am concerned about the smaller tank, but it burns 5ish gallons/hour so that would give us enough time for running as far as River's Inlet etc...

I know in the brochure it definitely looks like just a waterskiing type boat, but it actually has a better hull design than the 1802 and it does have the self bailing deack, more aft space for fishing AND the canopy can configure eight different ways to cover the in parts or the whols of the mid ship aft.

The Trophy 1802 is now at 28,900 now that the boat show is done. I figured that we shouold still be able to get the boat show price, but believe me, I have been to five Olympic dealers in Canada and the States and they all say that the break on price was due to a factory discount on Bayliners. They (Olympic) sold 100% more boats this year than last year and the factory is no way behind with order up to their eyeballs. I guess a matter of high demand...dealers aren't needing to lower their prices. They did extend the sale for a week after the Boat Show and that was it. BTW the same boat that is selling this year for 23, they sold last year for 27,900! Difference that the US dollar makes??

Still working on it, just had a dealer walk from my last offer which was equivalent to the orginal boat show price...so I guess they are not that hungry for the sale?

Oops, when I looked for it on the internet, the Bowrider came up.

87 litres is way too small a tank. You'd become a slave to the Fuel Dock hours. 1 return trip to Pine Island, and you will be planning day 2 around when and where you can get fuel.

I've run from Hardy to River's all the way to Shearwater. Approx. 100 litres from Hardy to Shearwater, River's is about 1/2 way. Call it 50 litres, not enough to make it home if fuel is not available and it happens on the coast.

I was in Shearwater once when both they and Bella Bella ran out of gas due to the barge breaking down. Last year during the Skeena flood, Prince Rupert was out of fuel.

That Hewes Searunner that SitkaSpruce posted when you factor in $2000 worth of Electronics and extras is way more of a Fishing Boat.

Good Luck

Back