Battery selection and setup....school me

northfork

Wanting to install duel battery setup for 18.5ft with 150hp main and 9.9 kicker with charging. Battery size? Deep cycle for both or just one with starter battery for other. What brand recommend and where from? Thinking maybe costco for warranty. Am sure most went thru this and can save me some time. Thanks.

Wanting to install duel battery setup for 18.5ft with 150hp main and 9.9 kicker with charging. Battery size? Deep cycle for both or just one with starter battery for other. What brand recommend and where from? Thinking maybe costco for warranty. Am sure most went thru this and can save me some time. Thanks.
What kind of main do you have? I just installed a 2012 merc 90hp that needs 800-1000 CCA so I needed to upgrade my #1 battery that used to be a multi use battery. I got a designated starting battery now, moved the previous multi-use battery to the #2 spot, and got rid of the old Canadian tire deep cycle that is 7 years old.

The newer motors require more CCA than the old motors. More than a deep cycle can put out. And they need to run the computer start whereas old motors can just crank until the carbs figure it out.

I bought the 24 series interstate 24m-xhd today and have a 24 series deep cycle as my house batteru

My main is a 2013 Merc Optimax 150 ProXS. I need 2 new batteries so can go any direction. Figure good warranty a must. I was thinking designated starter like you and deep cycle for running the electronics. I’m a newb at this tho so gotta figure out whats best setup.

Last edited:
My main is a 2013 Merc Optimax 150 ProXS. I need 2 new batteries so can go any direction. Figure good warranty a must.
You need 800 CCA so you’ll need a designated starting battery and a deep cycle house battery

Attachments

• 576E3625-DF20-4A3E-BC1E-565A9D4042CE.png
    576E3625-DF20-4A3E-BC1E-565A9D4042CE.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 23
I have Kirkland/costco 27 marine deep cycle and a Nautilus/Canadian tire starting battery I think it's group 24.
They both work fine.

Are the Interstate best bang for the buck? What other batteries you all recommend
I’ve had much better luck with interstate batteries than the Canadian tire batteries. But with that said, I did put two CT AGM batteries in my truck. But the boat gets interstates. Costco Kirkland batteries are also interstate batteries, but my Costco doesn’t have the same marine battery selection as people get in Nanaimo. I’d buy Costco if they had a decent marine battery selection at my local store

I spent a little extra and went Exide AGM 27, I only run one battery and pack a jump starter just in case. Since my main and pro kicker are keeping it topped up and don't use a ton of stuff when at the dock and have found it to work great. I haven't had to use jump starter ever and the AGM for many reasons is a far superior marine battery in my opinion. Less wiring, switches and fuses= less hassles and weight.

I run a two yellow top optimas in my 5.7 mercruiser never an issue plenty of starting power plus they are sealed gels so just makes me feel better

Back