Barkley Prawn?

• Thread starter Thread starter 5-Salt Fever
  • Start date Start date

5-Salt Fever

Curious if there is much of prawn fishery in Barkley Sound or up the inlet? We are planning a June trip and would mind soaking the traps but have no idea if it is even worth hauling them up.

General information and areas to set would be helpful - no need to give up your honey holes as we don't mind learning the fishery to old fashion way.

Thanks

Not to sure of good spots but if your setting in the Canal and its busy try not to set them in a popular spot. I know some people do this and people dont pay attention ect and get tangled.

Right off the mouth of Bamfield down the wall towards alberni was good for us in August last year! Over 100 large prawns on the boat with 2 traps on an overnight soak. Just watch out and make sure you keep away from the mouth of the harbour as the Lady Rose tends to snag onto trap lines on her way by.

Thanks - most helpful.

Maddog. would you say it is likely a guy could have good luck along the wall in June? As about what depth did you set in?

Thanks

The commercial boys start prawning on the first of May buy late June they have things cleaned up for the season. Slim pickins in late June.

I wen't to china creek in July,The boat moored next to me had a bucket of very large spots.I drove to bamfield 2wks later and did quite good myself .Easy prawning no bad currents.;)

Back