Bamfield June 9 - 11

fishwish

Here is my Bamfield report from this past weekend.

I trailered my boat to Port Alberni and put in at Clutesi. I have left my truck and trailer here many times before and not had a problem, but there could always be a first time, although I hope not.

Nice run out to Bamfield, which takes me about an hour and a half. Cruised through the harbour to see what was happening, and things seemed still fairly quiet for this time of year. I stay at Seabeam, and sleep on the boat. After I checked in with them there, I just had time to hit a high slack at Kirby.

Dead. Nothing. No bait, no strikes, and I didn't see any of the other boats (7) catch anything either. Turns out the next morning, lots of fish were caught there including a 43! ( I saw the hog in the freezer)

Anyways, my trip this weekend was for halis so that's what the next morning was for me. We headed out at 5:30 to 7 mile. Great weather, with only a rolling chop. Got 3 halis right away (between 20 and 40 lbs), and then the wind and tide started a little bit so we decided to get some salmon. Dropped the riggers down, caught many coho right away, including a couple of hatchery fish which we kept for the bbq. Switched to a larger spoon to try not to get as many coho, and we released a couple of nice small springs and kept kept four for our limit.

After this, high slack was soon, so we headed out to 12 mile to try and get another hali to finish up the day. Made one drift and landed one in the high thirties. Perfect size IMO.

That was it for the day. Headed back to the dock to clean the fish, and just wondered around town for the rest of the day.

Sunday morning, another gorgeous day for fishing. Headed back out to 7 mile, and once again got 1 hali right away, and then couldn't catch another one to save our lives. Oh well, back to salmon fishing. Great thing about fishng out there is that you don't have to move far to catch either. Again released lots of coho and a few smaller springs, but kept 4 in the teens.

We wanted to get one more hai, so we went back to my favorite spot at 7 mile, and made one more drift. Got one about 28 and that was the end of the day. Went back, cleaned the fish and ran back to Port Alberni by 3 o'clock. The run in was a little choppy, due to the time of the day and the fact that it was damn hot in Alberni.

Hope this report gives you an idea.

FishWish

Good Report! Thanks!
The Dream Weaver's finally floating. All systems checked four times, and she's running like a dream :D

Headed out tomorrow, two rigs, hoping to get outside for some hali's. Stopping in Bamfield enroute home, see those of you there who will be.

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks FishWish, I'm heading up to Ucluelet the 24th. Will be fishing for a week, I hope. Wife has five fractured ribs so, I don't know how long we can stay. Hope to get into some nice Hali's and Salmon. I'm going to drag a 4 or 7 inch Tomic Plug. Probably a Green or 602. I haven't been doing very well on Hali's the last few years. Can't seem to find a good spot. Wish me luck guys...

how the heck you going to get your wife to stand the run out there with five fractured ribs?
dang shes tough good luck dude!

car accident?

Back