Bamfield 5 & 7 mile Report

• Thread starter Thread starter steve41
  • Start date Start date
S

steve41

Any reports on 5 & 7 mile bank? Going up there this Wed July 19 for 4 days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

What direction is 5 Mile Bank? I've fished 7 mile quite often and it's pretty much straight out from Beale.

Not sure just heard about it. I have never been out to the banks but I now have a boat large enough to venture out. Where is 7 mile bank? And what would you suggest using out there to catch a few fish?

Steve

We did real well at 7 mile last year using 7" Tomic's. My old standby 602 was the best. We also used the big spoons but the plugs were better for us. There were so many Coho and Pinks the only way to target the springs was to go big.

As far as where 5 mile is, not really sure but I think it's more south off Beale. I'm sure we can find out once we're up there.

I just sent you an e-mail with more info.

Thanks for the info Slabby, I will give those plugs a good try anything to get rid of the flashers. I will look for the humps out there and try for the hali's too.[8D]

I sent you an e-mail

7 Mile is HOT for springs right now. Farther out on the Gullies is even better!! Headed out tomorrow for another boo - letcha know as it goes...

Good Luck out there!!!

Cheers,
Nog

What is the depth at 5 mile and how will I know when I am on it? Is it a fairly large bank?

Thanks for the info guys. I am catching the 5:15 am ferry tomorrow and should be fishing by 2:00pm. Back on Sunday and will post a report then. Thanks again,:D
Steve41

Steve, I'm heading up that way on the 29th. If you get a chance, any numbers would help me, as this will be the first time up there. I'll be posting my experience when I get back.

from Scappoose, Oregon

Ichtyoid,
I will post a full report when I get back. Gotta go finish packing.

Juat wondering if anyone has been out recently off shore or around bamfield, kirby, pill pt etc..? Any hel would be appreciated we are heading up Monday for 4 days and will post a report when we get back! Thanks

SWC

Spent Mon-Wed in Barkley Sound. Mon and Tues were quite slow and the weather kept us inside. A few hookups on feeder springs was the highlight. Wednesday morning there was a good bite at Kirby after first light, lots of action for us and other boats there as well. With water as flat as a duckpond we made it to 7 mile for 2 hours before heading home on the Wed. Hooked some nice Sockeye and a Coho out there before trying for Halis. Seems to have picked up as the week went on.

Had my 12-year old out for the first overnight'r. Probably lost more than we boated, but catching was'nt the most important thing for us. Good Luck and let us know how it went out there.

Just came back from Bamfield, fishing was great at Ship rock (Bordelias) constant action all day fishing in 60-150 ft of water downriggers set at 33 & 41 ft. We had 37 springs ranging from 8-26lbs and endless shakers plus 19 coho to 8 lbs. this all in 3 days fishing. We used the new prism flashers with green/chrome 5 inch coyote spoons on a 7 ft. leader it seemed the longer the leader the more fish would strike. These numbers were fish to the boat we would loose at least 7 fish a day. Reminder*** retie your leaders after each fish!!!
Tight lines:D

I was up in Bamfield this last weekend. The weather didn't permit us to venture out to the banks, however a buddy of mine was out there about a week ago he had 20 hali's in 3.5 hours and lost 2 large ones that busted off. He was at laparose.

Steve, thanks for the report. Now I'm packing the boat and getting ready. Looks like a little weather might come in around Sunday.

Any one been fishing Bamfield lately? How is the fishing in Aug? What week in Aug. would be the best to catch alot of BIG fish?
Thanks

Steve,

Mid to late August at Bamfield is almost always good. Bigger fish and lots of them on the inside (usually). Last year the fish were late and from what I'm hearing it looks like they may be late again this year. My usual time up there starts about August 20th and we stay almost a week. Two years ago we had to go no farther than "the wall" to find springs in numbers. They were everywhere inside. Last year, same time frame, not much inside but lots of nice springs offshore at 5 mile & 7 mile. If you're going this year in August I'd say go 3rd week or later.

Slabby

Back