Back-flow preventer on wash down system?

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
At trolling speed I am losing prime on my wash down. When in need of water to wash the blood off the decks yesterday I had to wait for water. Which lead me to think a back flow preventer would do the trick.

There were two to choose from at the plumbing store this morning. One that the weighted flap falls into place and another the had a 1/2 spring in it. 1/2 pound felt like WAY to much load well blowing on it and made me think it could be hard on the pump.

Here is what I rigged up....

Good Idea-but how long were you waiting? I don't wait much more than 5 to8 sec. By the way where were you to get blood on the decks????

5-8 secs..... But who has time to wait when there's fishing to be done :)

I was standing in my boat yesterday when there was blood on my decks :) :)

5-8 secs..... But who has time to wait when there's fishing to be done :)

I was standing in my boat yesterday when there was blood on my decks :) :)

THAT was funny!!!! I have the same wait in my boat but I never really minded much as long as I knew water was coming. My initial response to your 5 or 8 second wait was that it was ridiculous but as I started to think about it I am getting the idea that I may do the same. I was fine before I read your thread.
arghhhh....forums!!!

In the winter you will have to do something to prevent water freezing in the line or you will have a sprinkler next spring

Sent from my iPhone

Well it's on a switch I can run it dry then turn it off. Some I know pump their systems with RV anti freeze but I use my boat year round.

As as well I plumbed the entire system with reinforced hose so it should take some neglect :)

You don't flush your wash down pump after with fresh water after when you get home? When I get back to the marina I just hook the garden hose up to the wash down hose and spray the water backword through the sytem. To stop any salt build up

5 years same pump. Just pulled it out and inspected. No corrosion what so ever. Got to give it to Jabsco they build one heck of a pump.

I have plumbed my wash down pump to do double duty. It also has a line going into the bilge, backs up the bilge pump. I put it in last year after taking a standing wave over the stern, I figure about 100 litres came aboard in about 2 seconds, and about 5 min to pump it out. A long five.

I have plumbed my wash down pump to do double duty. It also has a line going into the bilge, backs up the bilge pump. I put it in last year after taking a standing wave over the stern, I figure about 100 litres came aboard in about 2 seconds, and about 5 min to pump it out. A long five.
So how does that work=do you have some kind of selectable Y valve-great idea!!

Thats how mine is also hooked up. Just put 2 gate values, close one open the other. One sucks from bilge the other raw water over the side. Just got a deal on another wash down pump to suck off my fresh water tank and am going to do the same thing to it.

Thats how mine is also hooked up. Just put 2 gate values, close one open the other. One sucks from bilge the other raw water over the side. Just got a deal on another wash down pump to suck off my fresh water tank and am going to do the same thing to it.

Thats how I did it, because I have an open boat, it is easy to reach the valves. I just used plastic ones from home hardware. About 8$ each, and easy to replace. Because it is plastic, I think The UV rays will affect them; expect to replace them at some point. I also plumbed it over the side and not through a thru hull. Initially the pickup was too long-- lots of spray at plane, so now the pickup just sits 1/2 inch above the bottom of the hull

Back