Avid Angler do's and don'ts - tips for the new guys

Fish Wistler

Looking for and tricks and tips or habits from the veterans how to get a sample with little harm to the fish. I recieved my kit today from DFO and look forward to helping the cause. I noticed on some forums guys are also tagging fish, any information on that?

Thanks

Keep the fish in the water if possible or minimize out of water time. If using a net make it a fine, flat mesh or rubber mesh net, never use gloves to handle the fish, always wet your hands when handling a fish. Have all your sampling tools ready to use. Sample as fast as you safely can. I'm sure others on here have other stuff to share.

What about care for the sample sheet? It says do not freeze. How long do we have to send in samples and how does one store the samples without degradation when going out for multiple trips?

I think the biggest thing is minimize handling and time out of water.

I use my fold up bench seat as a rest - once hook up is solid I soak the seat to make a wet area to lay the fish - avoid dry surfaces at all cost.
Pre-string out measuring tape on my seat to minimize mucking around and Have sampling tools ready to go
I prefer to tail fish rather than net as I am generally solo and it is much quicker, but just pull hook if first two attempts are unsuccessful to not over stress.
The fishes well being is priority 1

when doing Catch and Release, do you take the dna sample from the tail? and when you are able to retain do you take the dna sample from the adipose fin?

Back