Autopilot

ryanb

Looking at getting an autopilot.

I currently have my kicker tied to my main F250 by a tie bar, and a second helm on the fishing deck with remote controls for the kicker, all hydraulic steering obviously. I've been looking for a basic autopilot to keep me going straight when fishing solo while I fight fish, netting, setting gear etc. The TR1 won't work for my application I think unless I decouple the kicker from the main, which I don't really want to do.

I've been looking at options and to be frank, am completely overwhelmed. Budget is not a big concern, but some of the higher end autopilots seem to have features that I will never use and are overly complicated to install and setup. I just want to go straight without constantly messing with the steering.

Any recommendations?

if you want one just for your kicker the tr1 gold is great. If your looking for something for both motors the raymarine units are good value. There are many makes and models to choose from and your right they often have a lot of gadgets and gizmos that we never use.

all the major makers do autopilots
so install one that ties in with the brand of electronics you have
most run on N2k 2000 network, but if you have issue's using cross brand products although should work
will give the installers// makers an excuse if it don't work as you want it to.

simrad furono raymarnie as the lowrance is as yet to hit are market delays

When the Lowrance unit hits the market it looks like a great unit at a very competitive price, so there could be one added to my tub next season.

I have a raymarine s1000 autopilot... that I NEVER use for trolling speeds - but it runs thru the main engine hyd steering sys so you don't need to 'decouple' the kicker from the main.
I find that autopilots 'hunt' too much at slow netting speeds because the gps is not getting fast enough speed and direction info. The AP drives the motors side to side trying to maintain a course. Then at slow kicker speeds, the wind and currents can sometimes spin the boat faster than the AP can counter-act anyway.
My suggestion is to get the power assisted helm pump from Teleflex - run that as a second helm station at a convient location ( rear cockpit ?) That pump puts out waaay more volume than most AP pumps so steering response is very fast. A momentary rocker swt can reverse polarity to the pump so just touching the swt gives you direction control as you need it ( still play and land a fish solo )
send me a PM if you want more details - it works for me

I have a helm in the cockpit already... Just looking for something handsfree...

Is your raymarine relying on GPS data for direction or do you have a fluxgate compass?

I run a minn kota autopilot at the bow and lock the kicker straight and use the MK 65ap to hold it pretty much straight. I do not have the iPilot one, so use the foot pedal on a 20' cord.

You pretty much need the flux gate compass or heading sensor to make it work properly.
GPS is too slow to respond to changes. You can imaging trolling in a current and not moving. The GPS knows your position but does not know which direction you are going until you move. The GPS is only good for navigation to selected waypoints or routes.
The TR1 has a flux gate compass but probably won't work with your setup.

Com Nav 1420 made in Vancouver. Comnav is used by most of the Commercial fleet. I opted for a class 1 compass over flux gate and use a smart stick follower on the main for rudder feedback to the processor. Steers the boat straighter than I can in any conditions. If you have ever fished JDF Strait is SW gales and big currents and this unit can keep a coarse in those conditions it is a good unit. Was about $2000 when I bought it back in 1992 and still works today.

How much power does the Teleflex power assist use when you are running it. I have a second helm at the stern so I can run my gear, but do find the steering a bit stiff. My only concern (aside from how much they $$) is power usage.

Tx for any advice in advance.

The installation manual says to use #6 wire and 40 amp circuit BUT that is when the pump is being used as "power assisted helm "
I run mine on a 15 amp fuse which never blows unless you run the steering cylinder to full stroke at one end and then continue to hold the rocker switch on for 5-6 secs.
Pump goes to full relief pressure of 1000 psi and that trips fuse.
Basic back and forth steering never trips the 15 amp fuse
I recall the pump only unit being +- $400
Stiff steering is probably due to the size of your helm pump - more volume per turn = higher wheel effort - helms range from 1.7 to 2.4 cu.in. of fluid per rev for the Teleflex line
Depending on your configuration - the pump unit can go exactly in place of your existing second helm. Powered second station steering !! finger tip control ! play a fish AND steer
There are a couple safety concerns - so PM me if you are doing this

Back