Are you a netter or gaffer

B

Brokenrod

Just thought about it after seeing someone at Telegragh netting their halies (chickens of course). Let's get some feed back. Pros and cons etc. Do you net ot gaff your chickens or just horse them in?

pends on size anything over 40 I actually use a large shark hook with dah float. anything under 40 in dah net

RS

pends on size anything over 40 I actually use a large shark hook with dah float. anything under 40 in dah net

RS

I gaff 'em all. On 80+ lber's I harpoon them. I also have a lance that I can slit their throats to bleed them. This helps kill them faster and improves the quality of the meat.

I gaff 'em all. On 80+ lber's I harpoon them. I also have a lance that I can slit their throats to bleed them. This helps kill them faster and improves the quality of the meat.

I thought we would get more feed back but LC's comment may have intimidated some of you netters. I have always gaffed halies and cut their throats to bleed them, not because I've tried both, but that is the way I was thaught. Just never considered the net. Now that it has been brought to light netting a halie has got to be a hassle. The uncontrollable freek show plus that stanky slime all over the net. Could be some time befor the hooks are out.
Let's hear it from some of you netters.

Get a Flying Gaff!;) You'll never look back....[:p] Secure the flying hook with 200 mph tape, if and when it rips off (BIG Hali) you attach the rope to a float or a cleat depending on the size of hali. If its a chicken you can bring it aboard. Keep it white side up. If it's larger use a rope pushed down thru its mouth and out the gill plate(not with your hand) and tie it around the tail, tighten and tie it up. Hog-tie it's called. Bleed it and then bring it aboard. Cutting its gills or heart works well. Hanging tail up works best. Towing it backwards drowns them. They are very Strong! Be Careful! I have 2 homemade (19/0 Shark hook) Flying Gaffs, that I prefer to use over my Harpoon. Keep all your Points SHARP, Gaffs, Hooks, Harpoons etc. Good Luck!
Ps. I Don't like the net. I will never forget losing a fish ,the net and gear. It went 'Sideshow BoB'

Hallimamma's flying gaff is great, I am a firm believer in the shark hook as well, after watching several harpoon tips pop through the halibut. Watching people net 'em is great fun, we usually see one or two boats (Usually from south of the 49th)do it on the chicken ranch early in the season LOL! Good way to destroy a net, let alone the slime and mess.

So lets hear some details on how to attatch the shark hook to a handle.

A piece of 1 inch flexible hose cut it to about an inch and a half long, use it as a collar to slide the rope up against the handle.

I'll try to provide pic's of my tools. My friend has a new digital camera, as long as we can figure it out between 'catchin' tomorrow.
It is quite simple, Attach a rope 30'-40' to the hook. Use a boat hook or old Gaff handle(I use a pike pole). Wrap the hook to the end of the handle with 200 mph tape at least twice and once on the rope part way up. Hold the rope and handle while setting the hook. Hold the handle only after setting the hook, if it's large enough it will rip the tape off and the fish will be on the rope alone. Try to control the fish w/rope,cleat it off. If it's too large it should have a float attached to the rope and let go.[8D]

Back