Are sablefish a rare catch? Caught this fellow at spirit bay

They will eat just about anything. When I fished them commercially years ago with traps off the west side of the Charlottes we would be cleaning ones that had eaten the table scraps from our boat's dinner the night before including things like pork chop bones. And yes my favorite fish to eat if it has been lightly smoked then poached in milk.

They will eat just about anything. When I fished them commercially years ago with traps off the west side of the Charlottes we would be cleaning ones that had eaten the table scraps from our boat's dinner the night before including things like pork chop bones. And yes my favorite fish to eat if it has been lightly smoked then poached

I remember cleaning some and they had their belly full of those feather duster corals. The tubes that have the feather duster come out.

That said you are right, that they eat anything.

When it's that deep you take advantage of any oprotunity you can get

Not a Pacific Cod. Definitely a juvenile sablefish (aka blackcod). Good you let it go because it was a teenager and would be better eating a few pounds bigger. They have a cousin called a Skilfish....they get up into the 80/90 kg range....now that’s a fish I would keep!

80CD9069-77BE-406D-BD32-CBFC4183B1DE.jpeg

I realize sablefish(aka black cod) are deep water fish. Has anyone regularly caught them in Georgia straight or are they more common on the deep waters on the west coast of vancouver island?

When I was a kid we used to catch them by the dozens in Butedale On Princess Royal Island. They would hang out under the dock where the halibut heads were tossed from the sorting table.We would be grossed out as they puked out rotted fish bits when we landed them. The Halibut long liners would use them for bait and you could pretty much catch them as soon as the hook hit the water.

I was out with Huy the other day in Becher Bay and we caught a few more of these guys. I kept the largest (still small - trout-sized) and fried it up. Super tasty. One fish makes a couple o' fish tacos.

We got into some out on the rats nose outta ukee this past summer. They were thick on the bottom feeding on the krill. Only 200ft deep.

Back