Are sablefish a rare catch? Caught this fellow at spirit bay

I’m seriously so proud of the catch. So if it’s fairly common. How does one target sablefish so I can consistently catch them?
I caught a juvenile sabelfish as well on Monday in Beecher Bay (long slender fish of maybe 12 inches long). They look similar to a Pacific cod but do not have the little barbels on their chin and also are more a greenish coloring than brownish. I catch a few of these juveniles every year in Beecher or Whirl Bay while fishing the bottom for winter springs. I have never caught any mature specimens only very young ones like yours or smaller.

...Rob

I've caught a bunch in my prawn traps off victoria waterfront. they seem to be a pretty common little bottom dweller

I’m seriously so proud of the catch. So if it’s fairly common. How does one target sablefish so I can consistently catch them?

You want to look for muddy bottoms In a minimum of 1,700' of water. Bottom of ledges with muddy bottom has been best. Lights will significantly increase your catch. . For gear I recommend a size 9 circle hook with small glow hoochie or B2 squid. Fresh salmon belly stays on the hook & has a sent they inhale

You want to look for muddy bottoms In a minimum of 1,700' of water. Bottom of ledges with muddy bottom has been best. Lights will significantly increase your catch. . For gear I recommend a size 9 circle hook with small glow hoochie or B2 squid. Fresh salmon belly stays on the hook & has a sent they inhale
Show em’ a grown up, buddy!

Oh yeah! I caught one of those off beechy head a few years ago. As soon as I got it into the boat it flopped around and literally flung its guts all over. Wasn't really big enough to get any meat off of, so I put it in a trap.

Back