Any recommendations on a decent cooler.

H

Have you no taste ???? Lucky ?????
#islanders. 25 years of drinking lucky including when the young ladies from Cumberland somehow managed to steel a case to share with us when off sales were done. My buddy married one and let’s just say I know the fisherman the other is very happily married too. Sober now but if I fall off the wagon and someone offered me one I’d crack it in a second.

The Igloo 165 quart is my go to. They are reasonable at costco and not too heavy to move around if full. And they fit a 40 pounder.
I was looking at the Yeti 165 today, mostly for it's dimensions. It seems to be the smallest profile, but longest length. Is the Igloo the same? Doesn't look like it with that 30" fish in there.

Goodish video on coolers compared
I use a Yeti 250 on the deck exclusively for fish. I fill it completely with flaked ice at the start of a trip ($20-$30). We may have to shovel a little over board to start with, for the first few fish, but cooling the fish from water temperature to 32f/0c really consumes the ice.

Here is a formula that some of you may be interested in. One British Thermal Unit (BTU) equals one pound of water one degree F. However the change of state from Ice to Water is 144 BTUs. So you take a salmon (or any other fish) that weighs 20 pounds at 45 degrees F to 32 degrees requires 1.8 lbs of ice. 20x13=260 divided by 144 =1.8 so on a five day trip when the fishing is good it is realistic that you can consume over 40lbs of ice just to cool the fish to 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This formula gives no consideration to the sun load, the outdoor air temperature or opening the door to put fish in. On three occasions in the last two seasons we came home with barely enough room or ice. When the cooler is full of fish I stop in Parksville and use a forklift to move the cooler into the truck box so I can take the fish home for easy processing in my driveway.

If you have daily access to ice or are out for the day the 250 can be cumbersome. Yes Yetis are expensive, but they are the gold standard and they're not made in China. The two Yetis (75 for food) on the back deck of my boat are in a war zone. They are used as chairs, table, cutting board and a work bench not to mention accidental contact. Not changing brands for a Chinese look alike.

Irrelevant Factoid; Air conditioners and Coolers are still rated in "Tons" of cooling capacity. Which is equal to melting one ton of ice in 24hrs.

Back