Another local legend passes away

porcupine

GAUNT, Jack Roland Born November 5, 1926 March 16, 2010 into the arms of Jesus. After a lengthy battle with cancer Jack passed away peacefully, at home, with his wife and family by his side. He leaves behind his beloved wife Elise, and five children and spouses, Gary and Andrea Gaunt, Charmaine and Bill Routley, Randall and Liz Gaunt, Traci and Dallas Miller and Landon and Sue Gaunt, three grandchildren and seven great grandchildren, sister, Irene Cates of Duncan and many nieces and nephews and many friends. Dads' greatest love was his wife and family and we all have so many cherished memories. Jack was born in Detroit, Michigan and moved to Canada with his parents at age 19. He always felt so privileged and happy to call Canada his new home. Jack and Elise met and fell in love in the summer of 1948 and married the next fall and have shared 60 wonderful years. His natural passion and joy was fishing. He became a very successful commercial fisherman on the west coast for 20 years; in those early years he invented and continually developed the `Hot Spot' flasher and Apex fishing lures. He always gave praise and glory to God for his success in business and his safety on the sea. He was a loving, kind and generous man who truly loved his wife and children and grandchildren, and great grandchildren. He was a true friend to many and a joy to all who really knew him. He will be truly missed and lovingly remembered. Memorial Service will be held at Gateway Baptist Church, 898 Royal Oak Avenue, on Sunday, March 21st at 2:00pm. 582581

I took jack out fishing several times.He was a super guy and knew more about fishing than anybody i know.I will never forget the day Jack and his son in law Bill caught a 140lb. halibut on a salmon rod while out fishing with me.Rest in peace Jack.

More sad news for the sport fishing fraternity. So many of the pioneers in the sport fishing community have passed recently. Jack will be missed. My condolences to his family.

Back