Another Brew! Magoo!

Drewski Canuck

I'll be at Tuta Marina, Nootka Sound, July 21 - 30 if all goes well.

Beer me then. by the way, I've got a killer setup for Anchovie and Hootchies, with Circle hooks, that everyone who has ever lost a tyee will like, which is worth a few pints in my opinion!

Drewski

Sounds interseting. What size circles are you using on the hootchies and the chovies? Are you using single circle or double hook set ups? Any problem getting that pencil tight spin on the anchovies using circles?

Thanks, Slabby

For the circle hooks, try jamming a toothpick into the Anchovie head holder to lock the distance to the back of the Anchovie so that the 2/0 circle hook is set just behind the adipose fin. If you want, you can set a stinger in a #1 circle tied up with a trailer on a snell knot with 25 pd test leader material. I have gone as big as a 4/0 on Anchovie, but you need to push a toothpick up the butt to get the angle set nicely. Between the jammed Anchovie head holder to set the distance back for the 2/0, and a possible stinger if you wish, you will be surprised about the hookups you get. Interesting part, I have had many 30 pound class springs jump 4 - 6 times within 30 yards of the boat, and the circle hooks stay in tight, even though they are barbless. No one believes it until I sit down and show them that I am fishing barbless.

Drewski

Velly intalesting Brewski.

Would you please be so kind as to tell me whatsa stinger.

Have been planning to try some whole, head-on setups with 3 hooks, no holder, next week. Now I see that I had better head over to Nikka and get some circles.

Thanks. One Dog.

Sport Fishing, in its very essence, is about perfecting the technique. The proof of skill is in the catching. Using circle hooks results in hook sets away from the gills and gullets, and ensures easier releases with the least damage to the fish. Yes, a double circle hook rig works very very well in hooking up on short striking fish. A circle hook rig works extremely well at ensuring that the fish is brought to the net, even if it goes wild on the surface.

Yes, the Japanese perfected more than outboards and automobiles. Hats off to them for developing circle hooks.

Drewski

Chevy,

What are you talking about? I suppose you don't use downriggers, fishfinders, or any of the new flashers or hootchies, hooks ............. or any other "improvement" in fishing technique that has come along. Drewski is talking about a type of hook he uses that works for him. He's been nice enough to share with others what has worked for him. I think he should be thanked, not catch crap!

"Yes, the Japanese perfected more than outboards and automobiles. Hats off to them for developing circle hooks."
Umm... No they didn't.
Circle Hooks have been around as long as people have been fishing-many many thousands of years.
Go to http://mustad.no/abouthooks/h_history.php and scroll to the bottom of the page-those are Circle Hooks
Anyway you still haven't told us what Make/Model and Size is so effective.
You may do so now.
If You Please.[?]

OK, ALRIGHT! What I have been using is the light wire Mustad Circle Bait for Anchovie / Herring, and Eagle Claw Circle Sea for hoochies, spoons and Tomics. I go 4/0 - 5/0 for the lures as the weight of the hook makes no real difference to the lure action, but since salmon rarely inhale a lure, the larger hooks seem to hook better. As for Anchovies, go light wire and smaller so that you don't impede the action any more than you have to. Remember to true the action with toothpicks.
By the way, the circle hook design as far as I am aware was perfected by Japanese long liners in the 50's. It's main use was for swordfish, but worked great on tuna as well. It is not a pre historic hook.

Drewski

Thanks for the info.

Here are more images of ancient Polynesian and Micronesian fishhooks
http://www.oceania-art.com/wood/images/fish_hooks1.jpg

And yet more-some of which are broken off some are still very circular and date to back when Polynesians were first settling the Pacific
http://www.implementology.org.pf/fishhooks.gif

Perfect circle http://www.implementology.org.pf/17rotate7.html

My point in posting all this is to show that there is very little that is new under the sun.
The Japanese who perfected the modern day circle were working with ancient designs that their ancestors had used for thousands of years-they had the benefit of stronger materials and mechanised production.

Back