Alex attack article

Looks like the salmonfarmscience.com guys aren't the only ones on the attack.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...t-reported-virus-in-bc-salmon/article5582798/

SCIENCE
Ottawa moves against PEI lab that reported virus in B.C. salmon
MARK HUME
VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Nov. 23 2012, 6:00 AM EST
Last updated Friday, Nov. 23 2012, 6:28 AM EST

A lab that revealed the first evidence of an infectious virus in British Columbia salmon should be stripped of its international credentials, according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

In a letter to the World Organization for Animal Health, the CFIA urges the international agency to accept the findings of an independent audit that recommends “suspension of the reference laboratory status,” of the facility.

The lab is run by Frederick Kibenge at the Atlantic Veterinary College-University of Prince Edward Island.

The CFIA has long maintained infectious salmon anemia is not present on the West Coast. If the disease is confirmed by the government, it could lead to export restrictions on B.C. salmon.

The agency has promised to sample nearly 8,000 salmon in B.C. in response to concerns about ISA. But the results of those tests are not yet known, and the CFIA has challenged the validity of Dr. Kibenge’s tests, saying government labs couldn’t replicate his results.

The letter has surprised other experts, who worry the government is trying to silence a scientist whose findings the CFIA disputes.

“This is stunning news,” said Rick Routledge, a professor at Simon Fraser University, who sent the lab samples that showed a ISA virus was present on the Pacific coast. “This comes as a shock. . . my head is spinning. I had no idea they would take it that far,” he said.

Prof. Routledge said the CFIA was “placed in a very awkward situation” when Dr. Kibenge’s lab reported positive hits for the ISA virus in salmon collected at Rivers Inlet, on B.C.’s Central Coast.

Brian Evans, chief food safety officer for the CFIA, has written to the World Organization for Animal Health, or OIE, requesting that the international body act in accordance with the audit findings, and “place the reference laboratory status at the Atlantic Veterinary College in abeyance.”

Dr. Evans was not available for comment on Thursday and the OIE did not respond to a request for an interview.

Dr. Kibenge’s lab is one of only two facilities in the world recognized by the OIE for its expertise in detecting the ISA virus, outbreaks of which have devastated fish farms in Scotland and Chile.

After Dr. Kibenge’s findings were made public at an SFU press conference in October, his lab was hit with two audits – one in November, 2011, by the CFIA, and a second in August, by an independent panel appointed by the Canadian government and the OIE.

In an interview on Thursday, Dr. Kibenge said he believes the CFIA pushed both audits in order to punish him for his inconvenient findings, which he testified about last year before the Cohen Commission, a recently completed federal inquiry into the decline of sockeye salmon in B.C.

“What they are doing here is essentially punishing me for having testified at the Cohen Commission and trying to suppress the findings that we’ve been finding. It’s an attack on my credibility,” he said. “ I just feel compelled to continue with my research work because there is nothing here that I can see that I’ve done wrong.”

Dr. Kibenge said the initial CFIA audit raised some concerns about his operating procedures, and in response he wrote a detailed letter to the government, in April, stating how he would address those issues. He said the second audit caught him by surprise, but it raised similar issues to the first audit.

The second audit concludes his lab “fell well short of acceptable quality standards.” The first raised concerns about possible cross contamination of samples.

Dr. Kibenge said he stands by his findings .

Alexandra Morton, an independent researcher, said she has found the ISA virus in both farmed and wild B.C. salmon.

“Dr. Kibenge is a recognized expert on the ISA virus,” she said. “What the CFIA is doing to him is really unfair.”

Sorry, posted on the wrong thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://salmonfarmscience.com/2012/11/20/is-morton-bringing-isa-back-to-bc/

This looks like nothing more than character assassination by an increasingly desperate industry who realizes their propaganda is no longer being bought by Canadians.

So now Morton is an environmental terrorist. What’s next; she practices satanic rituals and sacrifices babies while keeping Jimmy Hoffa’s body secretly buried in her back yard.

All fair minded, reasoned, intelligent Canadians will be appalled by this and should be.

Both sides are equally biased, funded by self-interest groups and use propaganda in the form of extremely biased, often times pseudo-, science. Perfect example of the bias is the anti-fish farm reaction to the potential sanctions against Dr. Kibenge's lab. I'd wager that if Morten's group and an independent auditor found sampling protocol errors with the government agency and the government admitted to those issues, as Dr. Kibenge has done in his letters to CFIA and the WOA, anti-fish farm advocates would scream bloody murder. What has the reaction been, however, given the evidence against Kibenge's lab? Character assasinaiton and trumped up allegations, of course.

I'm no advocate of fish farms, farmed fish and especially not Atlantic salmon in the Pacific, but the hypocrisy shown time and again by the over zealous anit-farm advocates gets tiresome. I'm equally no fan of Ms. Morten, far too biased in the opposite direction, so much so I believe it discredits the movement in the eye of the average Canadian. Would be nice to see a moderate group that relied on defensible, rigorous science to find the middle ground.

One man's opinion. I'm sure to get flamed given the love-in for Alex on this site. Regardless, facts are facts, and both sides are shameful and shameless too much of the time.

Ukee

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2012/11/20/is-morton-bringing-isa-back-to-bc/

This looks like nothing more than character assassination by an increasingly desperate industry who realizes their propaganda is no longer being bought by Canadians.

So now Morton is an environmental terrorist. What’s next; she practices satanic rituals and sacrifices babies while keeping Jimmy Hoffa’s body secretly buried in her back yard.

All fair minded, reasoned, intelligent Canadians will be appalled by this and should be.

Now that's some rigorous science, eh?

Both sides are equally biased, funded by self-interest groups and use propaganda in the form of extremely biased, often times pseudo-, science.
Well Ukee, at least your post is disguised as being even handed. Although I detect far more of a rant against the anti-feed lot sector side than the industrial environmental freeloaders. Notwithstanding that, what is the average Joe angler supposed to do? Sit on the sidelines like Switzerland during WWII? Await some all seeing, all knowing authority figure to deliver a verdict from on high? Or get involved, act democratically and try and make a difference?
I don’t understand your blanket “self-interest group” term. There is a world of difference between the feed-lot owners who’s sole interest is money and the anti-feed lot side who are self funding based solely on their concern for wild salmon and the ocean environment. If you want to characterise that as a “self-interest” group I can’t help you.
Perfect example of the bias is the anti-fish farm reaction to the potential sanctions against Dr. Kibenge's lab. I'd wager that if Morten's group and an independent auditor found sampling protocol errors with the government agency and the government admitted to those issues, as Dr. Kibenge has done in his letters to CFIA and the WOA, anti-fish farm advocates would scream bloody murder. What has the reaction been, however, given the evidence against Kibenge's lab? Character assasinaiton and trumped up allegations, of course.
Dr Kibenge has made no such “admission”. He continues to stand by his results as reported in many media articles. The attempt to discredit Dr Kibenge is merely a continuation of an attempt to discredit his work (and that of Dr. Kristi Miller), as noted by Cohen:-

“The efforts of some Participants before the Commission (Canada, BC and BCSFA) to cast doubt on these findings fell far short of the civil standard of proof that should be applied by the Commission. Merely asserting the possibility of a 'contamination' without any positive evidence thereof, raising potential, unsubstantiated, technical flaws with Dr. Kibenge's laboratory practices, or attempting to rely upon the failure of 'repeatability' cannot displace the clear positive findings of two experts in their field.

The subsequent findings of Dr. Miller are again confirmatory of both Dr. Kibenge and Dr.Nylund. The fact that Dr. Miller used different primers, a different machine, and a different methodology, but also produced positive findings, itself provides another level of confirmation, that reduces any possibility of a consistent error. Dr. Miller's genetic approach is novel and advanced, but this is not grounds to reject it.”

I'm no advocate of fish farms, farmed fish and especially not Atlantic salmon in the Pacific, but the hypocrisy shown time and again by the over zealous anit-farm advocates gets tiresome. I'm equally no fan of Ms. Morten, far too biased in the opposite direction, so much so I believe it discredits the movement in the eye of the average Canadian.

Please provide an example of the so-called hypocrisy? I don’t know what your definition of “over zealous” is, but to me, someone who is willing to stand up for wild salmon and be publically pilloried is not my definition of a zealot. Morton is a Ph. D. scientist who has published several papers with other scientists in journals like the National Academy of Science. Your use of the term zealot is a character assassination.

Would be nice to see a moderate group that relied on defensible, rigorous science to find the middle ground.

Perhaps Dr. Kristi Miller and Dr. Kibenge were that independent group, practicing rigorous science, but look what happened to them.

One man's opinion. I'm sure to get flamed given the love-in for Alex on this site. Regardless, facts are facts, and both sides are shameful and shameless too much of the time.

What facts? You have not provided any. Only opinion, conjecture and accusations with no evidence.

Dr Kibenge has made no such “admission”.

Well, the lab was audited and sited for some issues and kibenge did comply and correct those issues.

Well, the lab was audited and sited for some issues and kibenge did comply and correct those issues.

I repeat... DFO itself got positive ISA test results in 2004. Canada, CFIA, BC, DFO, and BC fish farmers have ALL gotten positive results and/or symptoms of the ISA "disease" and have NOT done any further follow-up testing to confirm it.

It is already known DFO, BC, and CFIA are using procedures and equipement not as sensitive as North American OIE reference lab for ISA.

Frederick S.B. Kibenge is probably one of the most authoritative individuals in the world when it comes to ISA and ISAVirus. And... he does stand by his findings!

Before blindly accepting CFIA (aka Canada - aka Harper) test results, you might want to read up on his work and listen to the interview with him: http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/podcasts/

I am also confused by Ukeedreamin's post. Who or what is the self-interest group that benefits from Morton's advocacy? The other side's self interest is evident: their profits. What does Alexandra Morton have to gain by falsifying or confusing data?

I repeat... DFO itself got positive ISA test results in 2004. Canada, CFIA, BC, DFO, and BC fish farmers have ALL gotten positive results and/or symptoms of the ISA "disease" and have NOT done any further follow-up testing to confirm it.

It is already known DFO, BC, and CFIA are using procedures and equipement not as sensitive as North American OIE reference lab for ISA.

Frederick S.B. Kibenge is probably one of the most authoritative individuals in the world when it comes to ISA and ISAVirus. And... he does stand by his findings!

Before blindly accepting CFIA (aka Canada - aka Harper) test results, you might want to read up on his work and listen to the interview with him: http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/podcasts/

Looks like Alex is fighting back. http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/

A very good synopsis of the Cohen testimony on ISAv.

Well then I guess that the big corporations and the government are not trying to hide anything, are they? I guess there is no money at stake or major profit losses impending?
To date I have yet to see a big corporation or government that will not hide things from the public to protect their profit margin, so you may have fooled yourself but I am not ready to bite on that so I will side with Alex.
Perhaps from her perspective.

Perhaps from her perspective.

On the contrary Birdsnest, it is not "from her perspective". This whole salmon fee lot issues is not a matter of "opinion", like Canada's foreign policy or whether the latest James Bond movie is any good. You keep trying to reduce the debate to sound bites and stooping to accusations against the scientific community as though they were biased or involved in some giant conspiracy. The science reported at Cohen is factual data! The science is in and it is incontrovertible. The overwhelming evidence is all there in the posts by Charlie and Seadna and in the original source papers they quote. Salmon feed lots are dangerous to wild salmon and the ocean environment and ISAv is already here in BC. Your "opinon" about that means nothing, any more than your "opinion" would mean anything if you said the the earth is flat or is only 6000 years old!!
I repeat this debate is not about "opinion" it is about science, and you cannot produce any!!

Perhaps from your perspective/interpretation as the other campaigner around here which you seem to be. lol Your mind is made up and I am certain not all because of science.

I am not "armed" with pro-farming papers as perhaps charlie is with his anti-farming, but I can not help but to notice that charlie post only studies that suits his cause. As I have stated before if charlie and yourself are so enlightened and forthcoming of "the facts" why is it that both of you only ever post studies that suit your position? You will likely reject the link I post here but it is full of the "science" you hold so high, well, your selected science at least.

http://salmonfarmscience.com/library/#Feed

Aren't any of you concerned about what the problems may be at the lab back east or does it just not suit your program so you are crying foul? I think it is important to find out. We will wait until May or I will at least.

What does Cohen have to say?

As described in the previous chapter, I find that the evidence does not allow me to conclude whether the infectious salmon anemia virus (ISAv) or an ISAv-like virus currently exists in Fraser River sockeye. I also do not have sufficient evidence to determine whether such an ISAv or ISAv-like virus, if present, is endemic to BC waters or has been introduced.

I accept the opinion of several experts appearing before me that, at present, there has been no evidence that salmon recently tested for ISAv (the virus) suffered from ISA (the disease) as it is now understood. That is not to say that salmon testing positive for ISAv or ISAv-like genetic sequences may not be exhibiting a host response of some form. The results of the research conducted by Dr. Miller and Dr. Brad Davis, a post-doctoral fellow in Dr. Miller’s molecular genetics laboratory, indicating a potential influenza-like host response in fish testing presumptively positive for ISAv, suggest that some effect, short of disease and mortality, may be occurring – assuming that what they are detecting is ISAv. However, their research is preliminary, having been completed only one week before the hearings on ISAv. It has not reached a stage that would allow me to make conclusions on whether a host response exists, let alone whether it has contributed to the decline of Fraser River sockeye salmon.

The most that can be said at present is that a plausible mechanism has been identified, creating a risk that ISAv or an ISAv-like virus may have affected the health of Pacific salmon stocks for the past few decades, or that it may mutate in certain circumstances to a more virulent form.
– Justice Bruce Cohen; The Uncertain Future of Fraser River Sockeye; Volume 2, Chapter 5: Findings, page 111-112.

As far as what charlie says well he is obviously resourceful but I am now pretty convinced that he is pure campaigner/activist so no he is not swaying my opinion much. His mind is made up like many regardless of some of unknowns that he creatively looks past IMO. I would guess he is far smarter and informed than myself overall but I cant help but to notice in his style that he is on the campaign trail.

I do care about salmon stocks but I do not use the term "wild" lightly. There are substantial differences between wild and hatchery salmon and I think that it is important to separate the two to better understand and identify the difference. Lumping the two together is a mistake.

Perhaps from your perspective/interpretation as the other campaigner around here which you seem to be. lol Your mind is made up and I am certain not all because of science.

I am not "armed" with pro-farming papers as perhaps charlie is with his anti-farming, but I can not help but to notice that charlie post only studies that suits his cause. As I have stated before if charlie and yourself are so enlightened and forthcoming of "the facts" why is it that both of you only ever post studies that suit your position? You will likely reject the link I post here but it is full of the "science" you hold so high, well, your selected science at least.

Aren't any of you concerned about what the problems may be at the lab back east or does it just not suit your program so you are crying foul? I think it is important to find out. We will wait until May or I will at least.

YOU, really do NOT want to go down this road!

YOU, know I am actually quite busy right now; but IMHO and really would rather not have to answer your BS; however, rest assured I will.

YOU, actually would be a lot better off going after Seadna than me, or do “YOU” feel am I that much of a bigger threat? J

YOU, actually need to go back to 2007, and start read my posts, as I was not always “anti-farming”!

YOU, can trust me on this.… I am not, nor do you want me to be a “pure campaigner/activist – as I do know raising farmed Pacific salmon (e.g. Chinook) in open net pens is a LOT more dangerous and worse than Atlantic salmon, if a campaigner/activist I would become YOUR worst nightmare! That really won’t be a pretty sight, if it get me started on you growing genetically altered Chinook salmon in you open net pens! Btw… may I ask just how many of those genetically inferior farmed Chinook salmon of yours have been released through escapements and/or leaks? And, please don’t say none!

If YOU would like to start another thread, I will be glad to discuss the pros and cons of hatchery and what is referred to as ‘Alaskan ranching’? Neither can or should be compared to open net pens! BTW… there really are very few true “wild” salmon left.

As far as “Salmongate,” just what would YOU call your large government cover-up? I guess you could use “fish-lot-gate or how about just calling it the “Great Canadian government cover-up for feed lots”?

BTW… as YOU have a Chinook feed lot, YOU might want to be careful throwing names around like Morton” and Staniford as I am sure they both know growing Chinook in open pen feedlots is a LOT more dangerous to wild Chinook stocks than any Atlantic salmon.

Another BTW... Here is another part of a “cut and paste” just for YOU! Do YOU want me to post the whole thing? :)

Salmon Farming Problems

Open net-cage salmon farming is currently one of the most harmful aquaculture production systems and poses environmental threats in all regions it is practiced.

The Environmental Impacts of Salmon Farming
Sea lice are small marine parasites that occur naturally on many different species of wild fish including wild adult salmon. Sea lice are planktonic and are transported on the tide. When they encounter marine fish they attach themselves, usually on the skin, fins and/or gills and feed off the mucous or skin.

There are 13 known species of sea lice in the marine waters of British Columbia, but the common ‘salmon louse’ is the one we hear the most about. The Latin name for this salmon louse is Lepeophtheirus salmonis.

Sea Lice & Salmon Farms
Sea lice from salmon farms are one of the most significant threats facing wild salmon in British Columbia. Stocked year round with hundreds of thousands of fish in small areas (net-cages) fish farms are ideal, and unnatural breeding grounds for lice. Infestations on farms significantly increase the number of lice in surrounding waters, far beyond what would occur naturally.

In the spring, when fish eggs hatch and juvenile salmon emerge from the rivers and make their way to the ocean many are exposed to sea lice during their journey because fish farms are typically located in sheltered waters along wild salmon migration routes. Juvenile pink and chum salmon are smaller than an AAA battery when they migrate by salmon farms and some may not have fully developed scales yet. When lice attach themselves to juveniles, their bodies may not be able to cope, and they may die.

Peer-reviewed research has shown that one to three sea lice are enough to kill a juvenile pink salmon newly arrived in saltwater.

Sea Lice Infestation & Disease
Sea lice feed on the mucous, blood and skin of salmon. While a few lice on a large salmon may not cause serious damage, large numbers of lice on that same fish, or just a couple of lice on a juvenile salmon, can be harmful or fatal. The feeding activity of sea lice can cause serious fin damage, skin erosion, constant bleeding, and deep open wounds creating a pathway for other pathogens.

It is also possible for sea lice to carry diseases between farmed and wild salmon. This disease “vector” has already been shown for Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) on the Atlantic coast.[SUP]2,3[/SUP] An outbreak of ISA on salmon farms in Chile in 2007 spread rapidly from one farm to the next, leading to whole pens and in one case an entire farm’s worth of fish having to be destroyed. Sea lice have been identified as a possible factor in the rapid spread of the disease.

The furunculosis bacterium has also been found on the bodies of sea lice, making it likely that sea lice spread this disease as well.

The Science on Sea Lice is Clear
Research published in the prestigious journal Science in December, 2007 was the first study to calculate the impact individual wild salmon mortalities from sea lice infestation can have on the population of a whole run of salmon.[SUP]5[/SUP]

A growing body of peer-reviewed research indicates that sea lice are dangerous to juvenile wild salmon. Check out our sea lice research page for the latest science on sea lice.

References
Morton, A. and R. D. Routledge (2005). Mortality rates for Juvenile Pink Oncorhynchus gorbushca and Chum O. keta salmon infested with Sea Lice Lepeophtheirus salmonis in the Broughton Archipelago. The Alaska Fisheries Research Bulletin. 11(2): 146-152

Dannevig, B.H. and K.E. Thorud, Other viral diseases and agents of coldwater fish: infectious salmon anemia, pancreas disease and viral erythrocytinecrosis, in Fish Diseases and Disorders, Volume 3, Viral, Bacterial and Infections, P.T.K. Woo and D.W. Bruno, Eds. 1999, CAB International: Wallingford and New York p. 149-175.

APHIS Veterinary Services, Infectious Salmon Anemia Tech Note. 2002, US Department of Agriculture.

Johnson, S.C., Crustacean Parasites, in Diseases of Seawater Net pen-reared Salmonid Fishes, M.L. Kent and T.T. Poppe, Editors. 1998, Fisheries and Oceans Canada: Nanaimo, BC. P. 80-90.

Krkošek, M., Ford, J. S., Morton, A., Lele, S., Myers, R. A. and Lewis, M. A. (2007). Declining wild salmon populations in relation to parasites from farm salmon. Science 318: 1772-1775.

Salmon farms are breeding grounds for sea lice due to the high densities of fish in relatively small net-cages. In an attempt to control chronic lice infestation, salmon farmers use pesticide treatments. Emamectin benzoate (marketed as SLICE®) is the preferred chemical for sea lice control in Canada. However, the use of this pesticide has long been opposed by scientists and environmental groups due to lack of thorough scientific research on its effects.

Up until June 2009 SLICE was only available to fish farmers through the Emergency Drug Release Program, which allows the use of non-approved drugs when recommended by veterinarians for emergency situations. In June 2009, Health Canada quietly approved the use of this chemical and when CAAR contacted Health Canada requesting approval criteria, we received the disturbing response that research was conducted by the manufacturer, is proprietary, and is not available to the public.

The previously required withdrawal period of 68 days between the last use of SLICE and harvest of the treated fish has disappeared with the approval. Given that SLICE has been shown to persist in the tissue of fish and the environment for weeks to months, this is a step backward for food and environmental safety.

... funded by self-interest groups ..Ukee

You know who is the self-interest group funding the anti-fishfarming campaign? The watchful portion of the Canadian public! They have all the right to raise funds and hell to rid us of the pest that threatens our wild salmon. No one in the world has a better justification and reason to do what they do.

Charlie, are you getting bored with this stuff? Seems so as that was a pretty weak response from YOU to Birdsnest. Looked to me like it was just more c&p from your endless repository of online data. But for sure you are up to speed on this stuff so I ask, respectfully, what if ISAv has actually been here on the west coast for a long, long time, and the strain possibly identified by Morton and her cronies is basically harmless to both wild Pacific and farmed Atlantics.... what then?
Is your greatest concern mutation to a more virulent strain of virus?

Please, just asking..

Back