airmar ss75

BryceWCP

hi guys was looking into a through hull transducer as i’d like to upgrade to a nice chirp transducer.
i have a line on a really good deal for the airmar ss75. its 600w. anyone running this transducer and have any input or comments on this unit vs a 1kw unit!

thanks bryce

I do not have that exact airmar however I do have and 600w airmar high chirp for raymarine and it works great. I beleive you need a sounder box to get full power to 1000w transducers. Someone will pipe up and have more knowledge than me on the subject

Sounder box?? Tell me more! I have a 1000w Airmar with a furuno sounder and find not much difference from the Airmar P66.

hi guys was looking into a through hull transducer as i’d like to upgrade to a nice chirp transducer.
i have a line on a really good deal for the airmar ss75. its 600w. anyone running this transducer and have any input or comments on this unit vs a 1kw unit!

thanks bryce
Medium or high? And are you looking for salmon or bottom detail?

running an evo3s and 90% of the time salmon fishing and some bottom fish. halibut we fish up to about 300’ and prawning up to like 400’. the high is what i was thinking. according to airmar should be good to 700’

I don't think you're going to gain much over the P66 you are already running. Sensitivity should be about the same, with the upside that you might get a bit better target separation. If you want to see a noticeable improvement over your P66, you might want to consider going to a SS175HW (i.e. 1 kw).

For salmon / tuna, the HW versions of the transducers are the most popular and effective as they cover the most water. However, I don't think Airmar makes a SS75HW unless it is very new. They make the standard SS75 (narrow beam width) and the B75HW (bronze housing) which would work if you have a fibreglass boat.

I don't think you're going to gain much over the P66 you are already running. Sensitivity should be about the same, with the upside that you might get a bit better target separation. If you want to see a noticeable improvement over your P66, you might want to consider going to a SS175HW (i.e. 1 kw).

For salmon / tuna, the HW versions of the transducers are the most popular and effective as they cover the most water. However, I don't think Airmar makes a SS75HW unless it is very new. They make the standard SS75 (narrow beam width) and the B75HW (bronze housing) which would work if you have a fibreglass boat.
thanks yeah they do have a new SS75HW but you loose a lot of depth i think it’s max range is 300’. like i mentioned i had a wicked deal for the ss75H so was just curious if it would be worth it or to just spend the money on a 1kw. the ss75 being chirp and through hull i assumed it would be an upgrade from the transom mount p66 non chirp

after looking into airmar’s website the ss75 has a super narrow beam. 6’ wider beam than the p66 on 200khz 36’ wide at 140’ depth. the ss175HW has a 44’ diameter at 100’ depth. but only up to a max 500’ depth witch would be totally fine for what i do.

they do a TM165 HW same shell as a p66 but with a 600w element in fact it gives really good results
yep keep the p66 on 50 htz and get a hw which ever way you go

Back