Advice on potential RIB purchase

i had a 16 foot old aluminum. with a 50HP CT (almost the same weight as a 90HP) it handled like garbage. chances are this boat will also handle like garbage with a 90HP. it sinks the transom too low. all the older boats were assuming 90HP 2 stroke which is lighter than a 90HP 4 stroke. a 90HP yamaha 4 stroke is 362 lbs. a 90HP 2 stroke yamaha weighs 263lbs. thats a 100lbs extra which the boat is not rated for.

uhhhh

"

Does anyone have any comments on the engine? Inherent issue with that year or model? I know the some larger Yamahas had corrosion issues with the dry exhaust, but I don’t think it included the line of smaller models.

I believe it is a 2007, 90 hp with 191 hrs on it.

Thoughts?

It's an 18 year old machine....could go boom at any moment. But I think they're generally fairly reliable.

My neighbour had a very similar RIB with this same Yamaha 90. The 90 unfortunately succumbed to corrosion in the thermostat housing in the head which eventually allowed water to enter the oil system. He decided it wasn't economical to buy a new head and fix the old motor so repowered with a brand new Yamaha 90.

On the other hand, I used to run a commercial boat with a Yamaha 80 (I believe basically same engine, but with 4 carbs instead of EFI) and it had over 8000hrs on it. We used that boat almost daily and it got minimal maintenance. Finally replaced due to the boat sinking rather than the engine dying.

dont be this guy -
b9d862f1981b64959b771c8a268c39bf.jpg

16 footers are very weight sensitive.

i had a 16 foot old aluminum. with a 50HP CT (almost the same weight as a 90HP) it handled like garbage. chances are this boat will also handle like garbage with a 90HP. it sinks the transom too low. all the older boats were assuming 90HP 2 stroke which is lighter than a 90HP 4 stroke. a 90HP yamaha 4 stroke is 362 lbs. a 90HP 2 stroke yamaha weighs 263lbs. thats a 100lbs extra which the boat is not rated for.
Hey Zurk, thank you for your input. I get your concerns. In this case, this is the original engine supplied with the boat when new, and is within the factory specification.

Check out this aged Australian promo video for fun:

Back