Advice on potential RIB purchase

InterMechanico

Our family is considering the purchase of a used RIB to be used as a family cabin boat.

We’ve found a 5m Brig (2007) with a 90hp Yamahog (2007, 191 hrs). It is a one owner boat, and has been stored indoors when not in use.

Apart from the age of the engine and boat, is there anything to look for when assessing a RIB, such as how to identify problem areas in the tubes?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7096.jpeg
    IMG_7096.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7100.jpeg
    IMG_7100.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7098.jpeg
    IMG_7098.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7101.jpeg
    IMG_7101.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7102.jpeg
    IMG_7102.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7105.jpeg
    IMG_7105.jpeg
    554.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7107.jpeg
    IMG_7107.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7099.jpeg
    IMG_7099.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7108.jpeg
    IMG_7108.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7125.png
    IMG_7125.png
    566.8 KB · Views: 70
it’s a 17 year old boat, so at this point you can expect that the glue used in tubes is closer to the end of its service life than beginning.

Is it hypalon or PVC? Hypalon is generally a superior fabric, but is always glued. PVC is less desirable but can be glued or welded, and welded PVC tubes don’t have the glue problem (melted together seams).

My last RIB was about 15 years old when it started having glue issues. Still had lots of life left in the tubes but started to become a pain to maintain.

Such fun boats to explore the gulf islands with.

Good luck

I’ve read that the tubes are hypalon. I had a look for delamination or separation around the seams, but everything looked quite good.

I’ve inquired as to if/when the tubes were replaced. I think they may have been but forgot to confirm.

16 footer with a 90hp. wow. you will likely have to replace the tubes so consider that as part of the purchase process. first find someone willing to create new tubes for you before buying.

Well, the first thing I'd want to do is confirm the age of the tubes, second would be to confirm a source of replacement tubes.

On number 2, doesn't look good. Brig has a note on their website: "Unfortunately, all replacement tube sets are no longer available to purchase". Definitely give them a call (or their local dealer) and find out if that is a temporary situation, or if they have a recommended 3rd party that they work with.

If you can't get a replacement tubeset you are basically buying a non serviceable product with a fast approaching expiration date. Under those circumstances, hard pass.

Last edited:
Polaris Inflatables in Surrey can make a new tube set, but it’s not cheap. Their website suggests a budget of $1,000/foot. Likely not worth it on a Brig.

Well, the first thing I'd want to do is confirm the age of the tubes, second would be to confirm a source of replacement tubes.

On number 2, doesn't look good. Brig has a note on their website: "Unfortunately, all replacement tube sets are no longer available to purchase". Definitely give them a call (or their local dealer) and find out if that is a temporary situation, or if they have a recommended 3rd party that they work with.

If you can't get a replacement tubeset you are basically buying a non serviceable product with a fast approaching expiration date. Under those circumstances, hard pass.
Thank you.

I’m picture 2, are you referring to the grey bit where the tide meets the hull? I will have a closer look at that.

The tubes haven’t been replaced, but I wasn’t able to find any (obvious) repairs or any delaminated areas.

I have read up on replacement tubes, with people often going the route of having tubes made rather than buying from the manufacturer. Good info though, and will take it under advisement.

Thank you.

I’m picture 2, are you referring to the grey bit where the tide meets the hull? I will have a closer look at that.

The tubes haven’t been replaced, but I wasn’t able to find any (obvious) repairs or any delaminated areas.

I have read up on replacement tubes, with people often going the route of having tubes made rather than buying from the manufacturer. Good info though, and will take it under advisement.
Polaris Inflatables in Surrey can make a new tube set, but it’s not cheap. Their website suggests a budget of $1,000/foot. Likely not worth it on a Brig.

Thank you! I had a look at this and intend to give them a call. I want to know what they can do in terms of preventive maintenance on the tubes if needed, as well as an estimate of remaining service life.

Does anyone have any comments on the engine? Inherent issue with that year or model? I know the some larger Yamahas had corrosion issues with the dry exhaust, but I don’t think it included the line of smaller models.

I believe it is a 2007, 90 hp with 191 hrs on it.

Thoughts?

engine is likely oversized for the 16 footer. a 40HP would be better.
they have slapped dole fins on it to compensate but my guess is it porpoises a lot at speed and buries the transom.

Sorry - to clarify, I meant that in terms of sourcing replacement tubes (second item in my list), it doesn't look good based on info from manufacturer. If the boat has been kept in a garage since new that's a big bonus. My understanding is that UV exposure time is the big determining factor in how long these last. In either case, just know what you are getting into.

On the engine size - send it! 16ft with 90 hp is going to be fast and fun - RIB's typically have higher hp rating than other boats (not sure why). As long as the power doesn't exceed the rating you are good - just be a bit more careful opening it up. Looks like the 2007 Yamaha was fuel injected - i'd avoid an older carb motor at all costs.

Last edited:
16 footer with a 90hp. wow. you will likely have to replace the tubes so consider that as part of the purchase process. first find someone willing to create new tubes for you before buying.
engine is likely oversized for the 16 footer. a 40HP would be better.
they have slapped dole fins on it to compensate but my guess is it porpoises a lot at speed and buries the transom.
That boat (Eagle 500) is rated for max 90hp. Suggesting someone under-power their boat by more than half is terrible advice at best, stupid and dangerous at worst. That’s me being nice.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.png
    IMG_0118.png
    583.2 KB · Views: 16
Try calling Greeley's in Surrey to see their price for making new tubes

Greeleys
(604) 514-9975

303 protectant should be applied regularly

I have a 470 zodiac and it's rated for a 70. I have a yamaha f60 and it could easily handle the 70. 90hp sounds fine

My motor is also a 2007 and still going strong.
You can verify the engine hours and see any error codes if you have the yds cable

If compression tests fine and no error codes, I wouldn't be too concerned with the motor if the price is right

Check where the tubes rub against the hull to see if the material is being rubbed away

I own and regularly operate six inflatables. One is an RIB. All of those inflatables are at least 40 years old and all of them look like they’re in out-of- the- box condition. The one thing they all have in common—-they are made of hypalon. They are 40 years old because I specifically target the manufacture date of that particular brand (Avon) somewhere in between 1983—1987….once Zodiac took over the brand, quality went downhill as they started mixing PVC in with the hypalon (PVC rubbing strakes etc that always peel off after a few years of use)

Meanwhile, if I was looking into a larger RIB, the concept “changing the tubes” would never enter the conversation if they were made of hypalon and held air

Hard to tell from the pictures if that Brig is hypalon or PVC

This from a Brig site:

All Eagles and Navigator imported into the US are Hypalon.

All boats imported 2017 or later are Hypalon.

2016 or older Falcon's could be PVC or Hypalon. Most were PVC.

UNQUOTE

PVC has come a long way —-the new Decitex material is robust. Be that as it may, I still would not touch a non-hypalon inflatable with a stick….Decitex oxidizes ….hypalon does not……..

But that’s just me….

Manufacture date of both of these = 1986

IMG_0928.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry - to clarify, I meant that in terms of sourcing replacement tubes (second item in my list), it doesn't look good based on info from manufacturer. If the boat has been kept in a garage since new that's a big bonus. My understanding is that UV exposure time is the big determining factor in how long these last. In either case, just know what you are getting into.

On the engine size - send it! 16ft with 90 hp is going to be fast and fun - RIB's typically have higher hp rating than other boats (not sure why). As long as the power doesn't exceed the rating you are good - just be a bit more careful opening it up. Looks like the 2007 Yamaha was fuel injected - i'd avoid an older carb motor at all costs.

Send it! I’m with you on that. It’s over to have more than you need rather than less.

I own and regularly operate six inflatables. One is an RIB. All of those inflatables are at least 40 years old and all of them look like they’re in out-of- the- box condition. The one thing they all have in common—-they are made of hypalon. They are 40 years old because I specifically target the manufacture date of that particular brand (Avon) somewhere in between 1983—1987….once Zodiac took over the brand, quality went downhill as they started mixing PVC in with the hypalon (PVC rubbing strakes etc that always peel off after a few years of use)

Meanwhile, if I was looking into a larger RIB, the concept “changing the tubes” would never enter the conversation if they were made of hypalon and held air

This from a Brig site:

UNQUOTE

PVC has come a long way —-the new Decitex material is robust. Be that as it may, I still would not touch a non-hypalon inflatable with a stick….Decitex oxidizes ….hypalon does not……..

But that’s just me….

View attachment 110249
Thank you for searching this out.

This one is a 2007 ~ eagle 500, so I’m thinking the tubes are likely hypalon then.

I’d love to give it a good cleaning but I don’t want to drive the price up hahaha

This from a Brig site:

UNQUOTE

But that’s just me….

View attachment 110249
How does hypalon hold up with the wood transom where they attach? I need a bigger inflatable and have been leaning to Achilles. Also looking for used but it blows my mind to look that old after seeing all the pvc boats that are now junk after a decade or two!

That boat (Eagle 500) is rated for max 90hp. Suggesting someone under-power their boat by more than half is terrible advice at best, stupid and dangerous at worst. That’s me being nice.
its a 16 foot aluminum. with an old boat which was rated for a 2 stroke 90 HP which is much lighter than the 4 stroke on there now.
suggesting someone put a heavier outboard than what their boat is rated for is terrible advice at best, stupid and dangerous at worst. That’s me being nice.

its a 16 foot aluminum. with an old boat which was rated for a 2 stroke 90 HP which is much lighter than the 4 stroke on there now.
suggesting someone put a heavier outboard than what their boat is rated for is terrible advice at best, stupid and dangerous at worst. That’s me being nice.
What are you talking about?!?

What are you talking about?!?
i had a 16 foot old aluminum. with a 50HP CT (almost the same weight as a 90HP) it handled like garbage. chances are this boat will also handle like garbage with a 90HP. it sinks the transom too low. all the older boats were assuming 90HP 2 stroke which is lighter than a 90HP 4 stroke. a 90HP yamaha 4 stroke is 362 lbs. a 90HP 2 stroke yamaha weighs 263lbs. thats a 100lbs extra which the boat is not rated for.

Back