Advice needed for Nootka end of June

Calmwtrs

Hello, this will be my first trip to Nootka. Got a trip end of June to Critter Cove and just looking for some advice on gear and fishing spots. I don’t have a lot of Salmon experience but have done 4 trips out of Haida Guaii running mostly bait. I’m not new to fishing but have the bug for the west coast. I’ll be in a 17’ Arima. Also, what should I expect for fish and weather. Thank

Search the saltwater reports for nootka in the archives.
Pretty sure you will need to run to the near shore fishing but on the outside or almost outside of the sound at that time.

Weather- take rain gear and prepare for heat. Either can happen the end of June.
Gear- anchovy using a black/gold chovy holder or green/gold. Others will work too like tiger prawn. Tomic lures are also effective as well as Skinny G’s. I use silver/blue or green/whites. I use a Betsy coloured flasher normally but black/gold works great too.
Where- inside will likely be slow. Start at the Lighthouse and around Wash Rock. Move out to Beano when weather offshore permits. If the Lighthouse is too rough work Hoiss Point to Coopte Point. Depths 35-60 feet.
Launching- I assume you’re going in at Gold River, make sure you’ve got a 3 foot tide. You should be fine. Park inside the gated area for best security. The launch is steep so be mindful of that.
Just one mans view. I’m sure others do it completely differently. Good luck. Enjoy CC.

Weather- take rain gear and prepare for heat. Either can happen the end of June.
Gear- anchovy using a black/gold chovy holder or green/gold. Others will work too like tiger prawn. Tomic lures are also effective as well as Skinny G’s. I use silver/blue or green/whites. I use a Betsy coloured flasher normally but black/gold works great too.
Where- inside will likely be slow. Start at the Lighthouse and around Wash Rock. Move out to Beano when weather offshore permits. If the Lighthouse is too rough work Hoiss Point to Coopte Point. Depths 35-60 feet.
Launching- I assume you’re going in at Gold River, make sure you’ve got a 3 foot tide. You should be fine. Park inside the gated area for best security. The launch is steep so be mindful of that.
Just one mans view. I’m sure others do it completely differently. Good luck. Enjoy CC.
^^^^^^. What he says…. He’s right on the money with his advice. He’s been doing it a long time there, and so have I….He knows what he’s talking about…..

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the help. Do you have any recommendations for halibut or ling spots? I’m not set up to anchor so would like drift for them.

Great! Thanks for the help. Do you have any recommendations for halibut or ling spots? I’m not set up to anchor so would like drift for them.
Still the same answers as above. look at the old threads. Unlikely that someone is going to give up their halibut or ling spots. search the maps for structure or contour that you like to fish for these species and try your luck.

Meant to type a few things before I posted the link. Older article but with still good information. It has been years but fished the Jack and Jill derby a few times. We did well fishing between Maquinna and the Lighthouse.

Meant to type a few things before I posted the link. Older article but with still good information. It has been years but fished the Jack and Jill derby a few times. We did well fishing between Maquinna and the Lighthouse.
That’s a great article. Thanks for sharing that! Now to figure out all those locations.

Haven't fished Nootka in years, but one suggestion if you launch in Gold River. Make the run down as early in the morning as the tide allows. Overnight in Gold River if you have to. It blows in the afternoon and will make a pleasant 20 mile ride down hell and potentially dangerous. We did it once and never again. Every other time there we drove to Cougar Creek for the 10 minute ride to Critter Cove. Much easier for us. You will love Nootka. Halibut outside on Bajo near the Buoy is where we fished them. 100' everywhere. Our best 135# in the 'old days'. jc

If it turns on at wash rock when you're there, you'll be addicted. Avoid the thermal winds that occur after 11am in the sound

I would be using the skinny g or any sandlance spoon. Big Columbia fish pass through late June, so it can be good. I went late June back to back years. The amount of bycatch was unbelievable. Hali, ling, salmon all between washrock and the lighthouse.

Would this apply to Esperanza as well? Looks like we may head there.

Thanks Macduff, looking at the maps should I expect to be going off shore fore bottom fishing. If so how far?
The potato, the onion, the "t", the guitar, and further out near the highway are well known areas to fish halibut - for lings, drifting over the kyuqot reef. Go to Westview marina and ask for help locating these areas on your chart, or better yet, have someone pin them on your gps. Or you can head out and look for boats anchored up. Be prepared and safe.

Back