Ads appear to be affecting my ability to type posts on this site

MRWood

@Admin When I go onto this site from my laptop I have great difficulty typing without being interrupted by what appears to be buffering for ads. On my iphone there doesn't appear to be an issue with this but using my laptop and keyboard is almost unusable.

Hmmm, crew member here and I do not seem to be having any issues, maybe more people need to actually join up to keep this great site going???

I find the same thing, cuts back my use for sure.

Hi Guys. Thanks for letting us know. We're looking into our server monitoring software to determine exactly what's causing this slowdown. It could very well be the ads but, before we pull the trigger and add more horsepower to the server, we need to make doubly sure what the cause is.

So, just to confirm—this is happening on laptops and desktops, but phones are okay?

Thanks again,
Chris

Hi Guys. Thanks for letting us know. We're looking into our server monitoring software to determine exactly what's causing this slowdown. It could very well be the ads but, before we pull the trigger and add more horsepower to the server, we need to make doubly sure what the cause is.

So, just to confirm—this is happening on laptops and desktops, but phones are okay?

Thanks again,
Chris
For me it's on my laptop but my iphone seems to be no issue.

Same on Chrome on an iPhone. The page refreshes every couple minutes and whatever is in the new post text box disappears. Took two tries to make this post. Sometimes I make a draft in the notes app and copy and paste it.

Mine is on my IPad

My iPad is hit and miss. Some post you type a word then wait for 4 seconds to see it other times it’s fine.

Man, it’s really slow this afternoon. I type and the text takes 3-5 seconds to show on screen sometimes.

Thanks again,
Chris
Phones are not ok, I am having an issue on my Android device. The ads pop up over the typing cell.b Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240826_171505_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20240826_171505_Edge.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 5
Our ad provider has made some adjustments to the ad code that will improve speed. Also, there's now some custom code that will disable ad refreshing when any input fields are being used such as typing a comment. Let us know how these changes work. You may have to clear your browser's cache or refresh the page you're on before seeing these changes.

RE: Ads appearing over the text box (on phones): We've intentionally added the "Similar threads" section below all text input fields so it's easy to reposition the page (i.e. scroll down) so ads do not cover these text fields. Before, when the text field was at the bottom of each page, you couldn't scroll lower than the text box to get away from the ads.

In this screenshot, I scrolled down so the text box is positioned above the ads so I could type without interference ....

Chris

IMG_7610.jpg

Did the changes that were made to the ad code last week help with the site loading faster? Has the issue with the text input field clearing while you're typing messages get fixed? Let us know if you're still seeing issues so we can follow up.

Thanks,
Chris

It’s better, but i still have a nano second of latency when I input a message. Much better than before tho.

Back