Adding Steering to Transom

dance a jig

I have a new boat with the engine and kicker on a bracket, and I'm interested in adding a second station steering mounted on the aft gunnel to drive the boat at times and when playing a fish.

Looking for opinions on if the 2nd hyraulic pump should be the same as the primary helm station? One fellow I spoke with said he would have the aft station much more responsive to steering wheel movements, and another said have both stations operate similarly. Does the wheel size play into it? Your opinions would be welcome.

DAJ

Where are you located???
Easier to show than explain done 2 different boats now with 2 different set ups one with aoutboard one with out.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

as far as I know the helms have to be the same. Im in the middle of installing one on my boat. Ive also done 3 other ones in the last couple months. Is seems the hh5271 is the most popular.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Wolf, I'm in Seattle and I am getting the boat from Florida in near future. I know, I am late in messing around with this issue this time of year. Oh well. Anyway, the boat is a 2350 Pursuit, and a new Armstrong bracket is being made for it before it comes west. The kicker will likely be a 8 hp Yamaha high thrust with lift and tiller handle. So questions I can think of are:

1) pump being the same or not; The pump on the boat helm evidently was rebuilt in last year, but a manufacturer no longer producing and bought out by Seastar; still trying to get the model number
2) the size of the wheel? are there benefits in being big or small;
3) location of wheel dead center or close to the kicker so one can also adjust the throttle when standing by the wheel
4) why IFL is the hh5271 the most popular
5) what are the advantages / disadvantages of this solution (2nd helm station) vs. a TR1 autopilot, which I understand costs much more

thanks. DAJ

DAJ, I've run a second helm now on 2 boats. Would NEVER consider any of those electronic steering systems. They would not stand up to heavy fishing. They are also difficult for some people to grasp the concept with the toggle switch etc. Steering helm is easy to operate. I would recommend getting remote throttle mounted near the steering. Middle or side mount is a matter of what works for your boat and where you plan to sit while fishing. Major benefit is when playing a fish if it runs under the boat or around the bow you can flip the boat around and follow very quickly. Once you have a second helm you will never go back. Connect both the kicker and big engine with s/s ready rod. Both engines need to be in line mounted on same transom. If your kicker is mounted on a bracket and not in line with the big engine you will need to do some fancy crap to connect both engines. Don't waste your time not connecting the big engine with the kicker as you will lose ability to steer effectively if the large engine isn't also steering. Have fun.

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Don't waste your time not connecting the big engine with the kicker as you will lose ability to steer effectively if the large engine isn't also steering. Have fun.

Well I did it on my new boat and have no problem what so ever so I can atest been there done it and it works i can turn on a dime in any wind current I have thrown at it end of subject!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

No not at all trev just stating that I have done it and dont want to debate on it all which seems to be appering ALOT on every subject lately thats all...

wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Tx Trev...perhaps Wolf has a really light weight boat. Mine is too heavy to turn without the mains connected...especially in the wind.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Yup mine to def need the extra help from the twins.Thats how it is end of topic.lol

It weighs 6600 lbs dry and with all the crap I carry I bet its close to 20,000 ok maybe 8000 all kidding aside on twins YES totaly agree as thats a lot of ruddder back there but every boat is different,not a lot of guys on here have twin moters, I would imagine.

Ive got mine hooked up with 2 3 way valves and a ram on the kicker so its all independent and steer from the back or front depending on what im running the main or the kicker.

I stand corrected

Wolf

Back