9.9hp Merc Failing to Pump Out Water

• Thread starter Thread starter orion15
  • Start date Start date
O

orion15

hey guys
my 9.9hp merc (1996) is not shooting out water causing the engine to over heat if i would leave it on, i changed the impeller in it. but that wasnt it. the pipes are all clean and it starts on the first pull. theres nothing i can think of that might be wrong with it (the intake is fine also) .i'm thinking about taking it in to the shop this week but i dont know of any in the Vancouver area.
if you know what might be wrong with it let me know or if you know any good cheap mechanic.

If your telltale isnt spitting out water and your intake is clean,then your problem is in your water lines inside your leg.If the telltale is spitting then i Would wager the thermostat is stuck shut.
Stats are an easy and cheap replacement and I would try there first

I"M NOT A MECHANIC, but I had the exact same problem with a 9.9 evinrude. I also thought the pipes were clear,I even blew air through the line,a mechanic friend of mine shoved a peice of wire up the discharge tube up into the head area, rolled it around a couple of times and pulled it out,repeated and started the motor,no problem after that.Check your thermostat sometimes they stick closed.DAN

quote:Originally posted by danthewire

a mechanic friend of mine shoved a peice of wire up the discharge tube up into the head area, rolled it around a couple of times and pulled it out,repeated and started the motor,no problem after that.Check your thermostat sometimes they stick closed.DAN

I had an old 7.5 merc I used to have to constantly unblock the discharge hole. I kept a piece of bailing wire on hand in the boat as I would have to clean it out often. I constantly had to keep an eye on it.

Wow thanks so much, i just checked the thermostat and it was stuck shut you guys just saved me so much money. another guy said it was probably the impeller so thats why i did that first.:):):) i'll go get a new one tomorrow ,hopefully. and i also get my brand new windshield tomorrow, and i get to work 8 hours. Pretty big day

Back