8.0 Honda Motor

Discus

Last week I bought a used 8 HP honda motor from someone. It was start and running no problems.

Today I was very excited to take the motor on my boat and the boat was on the saltwater but It was not start and wont running I had been struggle with the motor and nothing happened for two hours. I got so frustrated and mad. :mad:

What is wrong with the motor or what did I do wrong?

I don't mind someone can come to my home and look after it. I will offer you some beer and bbq burger.

Thanks

Discus

If it's a tiller model make sure the throttle is in the start position.
I'm sure you have the choke out?
Pump the gas ball...
If it's been sitting for a while you may need to clean out the carb.
depending on the year you can unscrew the idle mixture (keep count on how many turns) and blow out with air pressure. Good little motors but the carbs have small passages that can get blocked.

I've got an eight horse Honda tiller model check if the kill switch has the clip under the kill button on the throttle arm mine fell off before couldn't figure why it wouldnt start bought new one with a lanyard image.jpg

Thank you for your replied me so fast...

It is 1992 8.0 HP 4 stroke outboard short shaft.. I bought it. it was running fine.. Just only one pull and start running was very smooth.

Today I filled new gas in the gas tank.

First put turn on then turn the throttle is in the start position with the arrow starter then I pull choke then I pump gas ball then I pulled few time and nothing happend.

It makes me so frustrated I paid for that for $ 700 for nothing I just bought it in 7 days ago.

When you say "first put turn on" is that an on/off switch or is there a kill button to stop the motor yours is older than mine did the guy you bought it from show you it running and now you can't get it started or have you had it running on your own and now it won't start maybe call the guy and if your missing a step or something

I sent an email and called him.. no answer... I hope he will contact me back in the evening..

When you say "first put turn on" is that an on/off switch or is there a kill button to stop the motor yours is older than mine did the guy you bought it from show you it running and now you can't get it started or have you had it running on your own and now it won't start maybe call the guy and if your missing a step or something

Yes I did. that an on/off with universal keys..

He showed me everything I did do right.. maybe I am miss something or step.

Check the kill switch like Roofus said. It should have a small black plastic u shaped clip holding it out. It may or may not have a red line attached to it..
I had mine come out and had the same experience as you are having..
Very embarrassing when my wife showed me my mistake...
What a cone head I was!!
Maybe pull the clip off and reset it. Try everything ,I know it will be very frustrating.
Hopefully it's just a little thing that is getting missed.
Good luck,let us know how it works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't got the motor running on your own maybe something got knocked loose during transport they can only lay down one way or the oil spills out of tank wait for the guy to call if he doesn't ill look in my manual troubleshooting section, I'm from Comox valley so not sure where you are located

hey Guys Thank you for your time and support me.

I am soooo Embarrassed. The motor is fine and running very well. I put gas on the motor was wrong way. I check with it and I put it right way . It was upside. now motor is running smooth. now I just pull gently at one time and it is running. I just worked on it adjust from noise to quite. Now it works perfect. I spent time on the motor for 5 hours for nothing... It just simply for gas hook upside/ downside. I will go fishing tomorrow. I know there is a good fishing.

\
Maybe you are flooding it with too much choke and bulb priming.......

Try pulling the choke out not more than halfway ( I assume it has a pull-out choke) and omly prime your bulb until you feel a bit of resistance......don't keep squeezing on the primer bulb for too long.

If after you've done all this...and nothing happens......remove the plugs and see if they are wet with gas.

Dry them off and try again , this time without choking or priming.

If you get it started you don't need it choked for very long.

Oops.....didn't read where you said you already got it running....sorry.....

That universal land yards that you have, the one you are using is for a OMC. It might not pull it out far enought. The Honda on is the top one from your pics.

Back