350 and 400 hp fourstrokes

Sculpin

Anyone following the new developments with the rumors of some of the manufactures coming out with big block 350 and 400 fourstrokes?

I just picked my boat up from APM and the owner was telling me about the new bigger block merc's that will be in production soon. I'm reading now about Sussie having a model for awhile now but not able to keep it from blowing up. Mercury has 20 units out there in massive testing from what I can read. It will be interesting to see the development of these new engines. The 350 yammy keeps blowing up and has a horrible fuel burn rate.

I'm going to build a bigger boat soon and I am researching as much as possible. Any input into these new high horsepower singles would be appreciated.
I have to weigh the difference in price from a single to twins for cost. I would love to go twins and that is the ultimate solution but one has to look at these new singles as well.

Cheers,
Sculpin

The manufs have only a finite budget for product testing. After that it's early adopters out in the marketplace that get to continue the process, that's how it went with VRO and FICHT. The engine builders get it dialled eventually but it's almost always cheaper to sit back, watch and wait. Wait for problems to be fixed, wait for prices to drop.

There will be fewer of these engines around once in production and the dealers won't carry many parts in store if any. You will wait for parts to come from Yamaha's central warehouse or even further when something fails. For those who rely on their boat for commercial use...I would really factor that in my decision. I think smaller twins would be the wiser choice.

Isn't there a 777 or something you should be going with? That's been out for a couple years just get one of those and go to the Tuna grounds at warp speed.

The manufs have only a finite budget for product testing. After that it's early adopters out in the marketplace that get to continue the process, that's how it went with VRO and FICHT. The engine builders get it dialled eventually but it's almost always cheaper to sit back, watch and wait. Wait for problems to be fixed, wait for prices to drop.

that would be my thoughts, I'd much prefer something tried tested and true if you're spending that kind of money.

Back