2023 Prince Rupert Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ll just got back from Rupert on a quick plan and turnaround. It started good until we pulled into Smithers to fuel up we quickly noticed one of the axels smoking. Walk over sure enough the barring cap is gone so is all the grease and bearings hub is resting on the spindle. Pull around back of the service station pull the tire oh great forgot the big crescent wrench go to Lordco buy a a 18” aluminum pipe wrench 180$ to pull the spindle nut. Starts coming no issues great might be able to save it. Nope it’s stripped now what. Go back to Lordco guys tell us to try Northern Metals Fabricating. Give them a call and they tell us to limp the boat over to the shop so they could at least look it up for us for the night. The boys had a look called Prince George for parts and told us they should be able to get us on the road hopefully in a day or two. No hotel in Smithers had to go to New Hazelton next morning eating breakfast get a call from the shop. Good news and bad give me the bad I said. We couldn’t get a replacement spindle for the drop axle for a week we got everything else. F@$K ok then he says the good news now I rummaged through my squirrel pile and had a used one. We took the liberty and pressed it in already and you guys should be road bound in a few hours. 24 hours almost to the minute thank you Massive shout out to them!! BOAT bring out an extra two thousand dollars FML.

Now for the fishing first day was a spectacular day up at the mouth of the work channel. Steady big Coho on the herring aid skinny G. The whale show was all day long from the humpies and a big bull killer buzzed the boat a few times. Pretty much copy and paste for day #2. Day #3 headed down to Edye pass list a nice spring right at the boat managed two in the hight teens. Some seriously long arms they look 30 lol. Day #4 was ugly windy and we just didn’t feel like taking a beating so we called it a trip pulled the crab traps they were as sparse as the halibut for us this go around.

The drive home was uneventfully for me I drove to Burns Lake then got in the back for a snooze I woke up just as we pulled into Prince George the old man looked sick and stressed. I asked what’s up he said the turbo hose went just after I fell asleep. Opened the hood sure enough it blew apart funny and very lucky there is a metal sleeve that goes inside the plastic hose barb to stop it from crushing by the hose clamp was sitting on top of the radiator. Drove down to NAPA got some break cleaner put the crush sleeve back in put it all back together 30$ and two brand new hose clamps back on the road. Not to bad all in all only lost an hour and a half coming home.

Attachments

• IMG_8423.jpeg
    IMG_8423.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0372.jpeg
    IMG_0372.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8491.jpeg
    IMG_8491.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8350.jpeg
    IMG_8350.jpeg