Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news on the squid front? I’m heading back this weekend and really hoping to jig a few up for fresh bait.

Heading out for the first time in a month. Any reports from Big Bank, Wya and Lighthouse would be really appreciated. Trying to decide if it's better to fish the sound, offshore, or along the rocks. Thanks in advance :)

Heading out for the first time in a month. Any reports from Big Bank, Wya and Lighthouse would be really appreciated. Trying to decide if it's better to fish the sound, offshore, or along the rocks. Thanks in advance :)
Me too, but mostly because it's a family trip making Barkley friendlier for some of my crew.
Wya was awesome for us the Sept 10 week a couple years ago.
A guess would be there's no need to go offshore unless you're out there chasing halis anyway.

Me too, but mostly because it's a family trip making Barkley friendlier for some of my crew.
Wya was awesome for us the Sept 10 week a couple years ago.
A guess would be there's no need to go offshore unless you're out there chasing halis anyway.
Wya was pretty good today. 8 between 10-20lbs. Has been best on the high tide which is now rolled into the late afternoon (didn't stick around for it today). Bait mid day, spoons work just as good early and when they are more active over the tide.

Today Was the first day in the last four days I saw some females. Had three shifts of all male fish (mostly retained 10-14s) and released many a 5-8lb male ver the last handful of days.

Hopefully we get another couple weeks around here with solid beach fishing. They were a little late. Let's hope she don't pour till ladder Sept.

Beg has been good on a few afternoons lately. Worth a dangle if the crew doesn't want to go far. Fish never seem to hold there though.

My trip this week indicates there is the odd fish at Harbour Entrance to Swale and Beg, but there was a strong bite this afternoon at Wya. Weather made it tough to get to yesterday. Mature gonad 8-12lb chinooks, wtf? Spoons. One more kick at it for a few hours in the morning before the race for the ferry.
Prawning was very good for smallish bugs.

Wya was good Thursday afternoon at 40 feet, so I thought they would be even shallower early Friday. Nothing happened for us till I dropped the gear to 60-65 feet in 70-75 FOW. The last and biggest one came a few seconds after I gave the 5 minute warning for a 9:15 departure to get in and head for the ferry.
DIL was a champ partner for the pound out, playing of the fishing, and surf in. My wife and son stayed at the condo to pack and look after the grandbaby. Wee G and Skinny G both worked. Awesome sunshine, but wind was up some days. More people should fish early September. Less boats, more moorage.
83cm.wyafish.jpg

Went out for an hour yesterday around 4pm out by Black Rock. Only one bite from a nice mid teen Chinook. Was nice enough to let us have a good look at him before he jumped out of the water and spit the hook. Just as I was telling my rookie friend to make sure the rod is not straight and keep tension on the line as the Salmon usually make a run when the get close to the boat. Good fun tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back