Status
Not open for further replies.
I was off the Tin Shed in 300-400 ft of water. Just holding in the flood zigging in and out from shore. The whales were doing the same thing from Otter to the Sooke Harbour Mouth.

Yesterday, I trolled for couple of hours in Pedder and drifted for hali out on the mud flats for a couple of hours. Not a nibble of anything. 4 keeper crap, A beauty of a day on the water.

Today I anchored out on the flats and picked up a 124cm hali around 12:30. Also 5 or 6 doggies and a couple of ratfish. They seem to really like salmon bellies. Picked up 4 keeper crab on the way in.

Fished with my daughter off Pedder Bay for a few hours middle of the day. Fog kept us east of Bentick and Race Rocks. Caught a small coho [4-5 lbs] within 30 seconds of getting the downrigger to 55' about 50 yards from the kelp beds - daughter's fish and she decided to release it. Another one on within 5 minutes, self-released near the boat, Quiet for a while then a great bite at 70' that we got a brief feel of -- 10-12 lbs from the authority it showed -- but gone from us far too soon. Lots of humpback action, with as many as 4 within 100 meters [my daughter's reason for being there], but the main features were fog rolling in in the afternoon, and the wind really picking up 3-3:30.

Let's hope the coming rains don't put a complete finish to the fishing.

Slower this morning with 2 wild coho with the largest about 9 pounds, lost another. Then 3 winter chinook up to 5-6 pounds. So many Humpback's around us again today feeding on the surface. I managed to get close to the seiner doing the chum test fishery as they pulled the seine over the stern and began counting and tossing fish back into the water. We counted about 50 fish go back some quite large. I howlered over if the chum numbers were building and they yelled back all chum now. They were in about 180-200 ft of water at the time right off the tin shed...working inside of where all the whales were.

On the hook off of Pedder from 11:30 to 2:30. Not a nibble today. Not even a dog or ratfish....
I was out there and saw you again. We didn't have a bite either. Winds came up and we packed it in. On the way back to Victoria we heard a distress call. Boat had sunk off saxe point and 2 people in the water. I answered the call to CG radio and we vectored in. I went to the southern point while the Pilot boat went to the north where they found the 2 people.
Waves were really rough. I'm glad the guys got rescued. Once again, wear your life jackets and always have a VHF radio.

I was out there and saw you again. We didn't have a bite either. Winds came up and we packed it in. On the way back to Victoria we heard a distress call. Boat had sunk off saxe point and 2 people in the water. I answered the call to CG radio and we vectored in. I went to the southern point while the Pilot boat went to the north where they found the 2 people.
Waves were really rough. I'm glad the guys got rescued. Once again, wear your life jackets and always have a VHF radio.
Hey Hot-Streak ,,Saw you drop the hook. I pulled the pin earlier than you, just as the wind start to pick up. Being a "much" slower boat it takes me a while to chug back to Pedder Bay. Got back in before it got too nasty. Always another day,,,,no need to push it.. Things can change quickly.
Glad the 2 guys were found and hopefully OK and thanks for doing your part in the search. Good stuff.

Went out to sooke river mouth today and watched people fished for two hours and no one had a bite. Is the fishery still early or it’s over? Thank you

Today was a bit better than yesterday..we ended up with 3 wild and 1 hatch, largest just over 10 pounds. Lost 4 more close to the boat. 55-60 ft on hootchies. Lots of whales again today, one guest from Ontario was amazed at the whale show all morning...fishing was the bonus.

A little pleasantly surprised this afternoon...out from noon to 3pm off the Tin Shed and got a wild coho right away and then quiet until about 2 ish. A bite came on and we ended up keeping 3 wild to 9 pounds and 2 hatch...also released 3 more wild to about 8 pounds. All 55-70 ft on hootchies. Only seen a single Humpback today and as we were heading in I noticed a whale watching rib in tight to Possession...turned the radio to channel 79 and heard a few transients were heading west along the beach. A decent 3 hours for this late in October.

We fished off the harbour mouth and the bluffs in 350 to 450 water for 2 nice wild, releasing 3 more. No hatchery to be found. Hootchies worked the best between 70 and 90 ft on the rigger. What a flat calm, beautiful sunny day to end our October coho fishing.092D3F7B-5A70-4C02-ABEB-7825FA2222B4.jpeg

Late start out of Cheanuh this morning. 9am-2pm nothing but little shakers. Between 2 and 3pm we landed 1 unclipped Chinook, an unclipped coho and a sockeye. All off of the head in 350ft of water, 70-80ft on the DR. Wee-g did the trick for us. Fishery officers checked us just after 2pm,, just after we landed the coho. Checked licences, hooks, our cooler and the coho. 4 of them,,,,they had us out numbered. Friendly bunch..

Late start out of Cheanuh this morning. 9am-2pm nothing but little shakers. Between 2 and 3pm we landed 1 unclipped Chinook, an unclipped coho and a sockeye. All off of the head in 350ft of water, 70-80ft on the DR. Wee-g did the trick for us. Fishery officers checked us just after 2pm,, just after we landed the coho. Checked licences, hooks, our cooler and the coho. 4 of them,,,,they had us out numbered. Friendly bunch..
Saw them anchored up off Kreyke as we checked our traps. I thought we were going to get checked but it must have been lunch time.

Went to pull the boat at Cheanuh today, but the weather was so nice I couldn't help but drag my buddy out for a quick fish. Went straight off the head, down to the shack, only 2 small spring for us in the 2 hours or so we were out. Not many boats, but we too had the visit from the DFO team. Same deal - licenses, hooks and coolers/holds, all empty! One humpback to end the quick trip, and then called it a season. For now.... :) here comes the rain!

Another good day today on the water...for this time of the year. We kept 4 wild coho, all 5-7 pounds and released 2 more. Three were females and the row was still quite small so there may be some around for awhile yet. 55-70 ft on hootchies and had a Skinny G out and it caught them too. Good signs of bait on the winter chinook tack but only a few undersize jumped on the gear. Two or three humpbacks deep diving for feed. All the Coho were out in just over 400ft of water. The Chum test seiner was out again today and he headed way out towards the border. Nice afternoon in the sun and flat water.

Last edited:
Another good day today on the water...for this time of the year. W kept 4 wild coho, all 5-7 pounds and released 2 more. Three were females and the row was still quite small so there may be some around for awhile yet. 55-70 ft on hootchies and had a Skinny G out and it caught them too. Good signs of bait on the winter chinook tack but only a few undersize jumped on the gear. Two or three humpbacks deep diving for feed. All the Coho were out in just over 400ft of water. The Chum test seiner was out again today and he headed way out towards the border. Nice afternoon in the sun and flat water.
Thanks Rollie your reports are always appreciated I should get my lazy butt on the water

Out yesterday for about 5 hours. The wind, current and tide were all good so a buddiy and I decided to give it a shot one last time. It was a blast! We just fished the mouth of the bay to Aldridge. Double header within 30 seconds and pretty much steady action for the next 3 or 4 hrs. Lots of shakers but quite a few 3 to 5 lb as well. Got 2 wild, spring, 2 hatchery spring, 1 chum, and released a bunch! Great day on the water. 90% of the shakers we got were hatchery coho. Hopefully good for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back