2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a kayak fishing camping spot for a summer trip. How far out do you start to find fish. Not looking for hot numbers just how far do you need to travel for consistint fish?

Hoping a area that can produce both
For the past several years I’ve tied up at Gateway Marina for free (between the shore and the dock closest to it, it’s too shallow for power boats). From Gateway it’s 1.25 miles to Woods Nose where you can start to fish. From the Nose out to East Point is all fishable along that shore can be good for salmon. So you can camp at the First Nations campground on the beach and get some salmon fishing in that’s doable from the kayak. Here’s a picture of my kayak tied up at Gateway with a fish from the Nose.3F657F8A-BC9A-4CAD-9A2D-09A969D9E9B3.jpeg13B25C9A-0EB6-44D3-B593-A1B054E22076.jpeg

Hello everyone,

Me and some friends will be coming Port Renfrew this weekend 23 or 24 April to fish for rock fish, ling and possibly halibut. We are coming from Victoria for a day of fishing. We plan to stay in the bay or close to the mouth of the bay.

I am not here to ask for anyone's spots but more just general info on the area as I've never fished there before. Here are some points/questions I have

1) Are the boat launches open early and can I launch a boat at any time (18ft)

2) Are there any special rules/customs that we should observe to respect the locals and indigenous people out in Port Renfrew? We hope to be respectful and good visitors to your part of the island.

3) Fishing tactics - we plan to jig for bottom fish such as rock fish and ling... however for Halibut can they be caught while trolling? Or should I bring my hali anchor? (once again not asking for people's spots) but is there a chance to catch Hali close to shore or do I need to go out far into open water (this we would not do as we are going for the first time)

4) Are there restaurants and small business you would recommend so we can spend some money to support the local economy?

If there is anyone fishing that weekend and would like a buddy boat I would be happy to have one for safety. Also if there are any other tips/tricks/info we should know please post or message me. My boat is named "HOT-STREAK" and we will be on VHF 68 so feel free to say hello out there.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Cheers!

Hello everyone,

Me and some friends will be coming Port Renfrew this weekend 23 or 24 April to fish for rock fish, ling and possibly halibut. We are coming from Victoria for a day of fishing. We plan to stay in the bay or close to the mouth of the bay.

I am not here to ask for anyone's spots but more just general info on the area as I've never fished there before. Here are some points/questions I have

2) Are there any special rules/customs that we should observe to respect the locals and indigenous people out in Port Renfrew? We hope to be respectful and good visitors to your part of the island.

3) Fishing tactics - we plan to jig for bottom fish such as rock fish and ling... however for Halibut can they be caught while trolling? Or should I bring my hali anchor? (once again not asking for people's spots) but is there a chance to catch Hali close to shore or do I need to go out far into open water (this we would not do as we are going for the first time)

4) Are there restaurants and small business you would recommend so we can spend some money to support the local economy?

If there is anyone fishing that weekend and would like a buddy boat I would be happy to have one for safety. Also if there are any other tips/tricks/info we should know please post or message me. My boat is named "HOT-STREAK" and we will be on VHF 68 so feel free to say hello out there.

Rock fish and lingcod are closed until may 1

Hello everyone,

Use VHF #06 & buy a chart.

Rock fish and lingcod are closed until may 1
They're open in Renfrew as of April 1.

I'm not a Renfrew local, so take the following with that in mind. IMO the pub is as good a spot as any to grab a snack (in front of the government dock). The general store has basics and is good to support (I assume - seems locally owned). I'll at least stop for ice there.

I can't speak to halibut and the marina (though I'm pretty sure I've seen a dropbox for after/before hours launches). Ling and rockfish can be had from Wood's nose out to the mouth of the bay. Lots of structure. I've heard chatter of the occasional halibut near the mouth of the bay in fairly shallow water, but I have zero experience with that.

Thermal winds shoot up the bay (westerly) during high pressure times. So expect the wind to come up FAST in the early afternoon in those conditions. I don't really know the frequency of that particular blow this time of year, but by summer I gather it's like clockwork.

Good luck out there!

They're open in Renfrew as of April 1.

I'm not a Renfrew local, so take the following with that in mind. IMO the pub is as good a spot as any to grab a snack (in front of the government dock). The general store has basics and is good to support (I assume - seems locally owned). I'll at least stop for ice there.

I can't speak to halibut and the marina (though I'm pretty sure I've seen a dropbox for after/before hours launches). Ling and rockfish can be had from Wood's nose out to the mouth of the bay. Lots of structure. I've heard chatter of the occasional halibut near the mouth of the bay in fairly shallow water, but I have zero experience with that.

Thermal winds shoot up the bay (westerly) during high pressure times. So expect the wind to come up FAST in the early afternoon in those conditions. I don't really know the frequency of that particular blow this time of year, but by summer I gather it's like clockwork.

Good luck out there!
Deepaaaar,

Thanks for the come back/info. I am going to stay on the cautious side this trip and be happy with whatever we can in the bay or close to it weather willing. I was looking at the structure on the chart along the shore.

We will plan to drop by the pub and I always like checking out the local general store so those are great recommendations.

Hope to get some rock fish and ling, Hali might have to wait till I know the area better.

Cheers!

BTW I used to primarily kayak fish and still own one for trips abroad!

Deepaaaar,

Thanks for the come back/info. I am going to stay on the cautious side this trip and be happy with whatever we can in the bay or close to it weather willing. I was looking at the structure on the chart along the shore.

We will plan to drop by the pub and I always like checking out the local general store so those are great recommendations.

Hope to get some rock fish and ling, Hali might have to wait till I know the area better.

Cheers!

BTW I used to primarily kayak fish and still own one for trips abroad!
Right on! I've had the kayak for a couple o' years and I'm loving it. I've been out to Cerantes a number of times in the 'yak and, as long as I pick the day well, it's been really nice. I'm hoping to give the Nose a try for salmon when it opens this summer.

Don't forget to bring your crab traps, too. Good luck!

Thanks to those who generously shared some tips and local info. My friends and I had a very nice tip out to your part of the woods. We got lucky with a beaty of a day with light winds and gentle swells. Did well on rock fish and a few keeper lings but no luck on the hali. A bonus was I got a picture of my boat at Carmanah point which is the model name of my boat.

People at the general store and the marina were very nice and the scenery of the area was nothing short of magical. I hope to visit again sometime and maybe even try Swiftsure (but conditions would have to be just right).

Port Renfrew is a very special place and I am thankful to have experienced it.

Thanks to those who generously shared some tips and local info. My friends and I had a very nice tip out to your part of the woods. We got lucky with a beaty of a day with light winds and gentle swells. Did well on rock fish and a few keeper lings but no luck on the hali. A bonus was I got a picture of my boat at Carmanah point which is the model name of my boat.

People at the general store and the marina were very nice and the scenery of the area was nothing short of magical. I hope to visit again sometime and maybe even try Swiftsure (but conditions would have to be just right).

Port Renfrew is a very special place and I am thankful to have experienced it.
In my opinion, the only way to really to get a "real Port Renfrew experience" is go fishing in August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that an invitation to go out with you in August? Hahaha
Sure I'd take you out, the question is will I be out there? Not sure at this point of time, but have 3 months to decide. Personally I'd like to go to Tahsis in mid July for starters.

Has anyone been able to fish for Springs out in Area 21 recently. We are thinking of doing some salmon fishing, while we are on the halibut trail but wanted to see if there were any recent reports. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back