Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past 4 years my son and I do an annual boat-venture-fishing trip for a week each summer. Every year we do a new area. This is our 5th year, we started when he was 3 years old and so far have done Desolation, Clayoquot, Nootka, Broughtons and now this year we have selected Kyuquot. I have never been there. we plan on towing to Fair Harbour and launching from there. He's almost 8 now so it gets more fun every year. Would love any info on spots (or at least general area) to fish for Halibut, Ling or Salmon and any cool things to check out to better point our adventure. The plan is to make our way towards Naspariti inlet and back, stopping along the way and doing some fishing. Unlikely we go far offshore unless its flat calm which is basically never up there. I did just recently realize most of Checleset bay is either RCA or finfish closure which will make fishing a challenge but it will be fun all the same i'm sure. If anyone can Pm me any info, it would be really appreciated! Oh and our dates are July 29 - Aug 5.
Spring Island is probably your best bet for Salmon close to shore. There is lots of structure/pinnacles for ling between Spring Island and Naspariti (well outside the boundaries you noted). We have also got some nice halibut along that stretch without having to go out too far just looking for good structure on the chart/gps. We’ve enjoyed the beach at Rugged Point but that’s the opposite direction to where you are headed. Have fun. It’s a special place.

Leaving tomorrow for Tahsis and then out to Port Eliza Lodge on Tuesday. Any squid showing up at grassy or mushroom point?

Would love to hear any reports from the area! I'm headed up this Sunday for my first trip to Kyuquot and can't wait to get there...

Well returned from my annual trip on July 17. First day 5 hour drive in was going great road was in good shape, but pouring rain. Pulled into fair harbour and pulled up to the water hose to clean all the mud off the boat. Then I heard the dreaded sound….psssss…rear tire going down fast with a good gash. Launch the boat fast and decided to change tire upon return because of the weather. I dump our gear at the cabin and head to spring island for an afternoon fish. Slow.. changing up gear, skinny g, white hottchie….hmmm…thro down a loonie spoon I was given for Christma…bam.bam.bam holly **** 5 springs in the boat! Then going for a 6th and snap line brakes on a bad net job…****!

Next morning fore cast for south east blowing 30 knots and heavy rain…great. Got some intell on big fish coming out of a bay north of white cliff so decide to head there because we can travel through the rocks and be wind protected. We pop out of the rocks and hit more open water…holy **** ….doing 10 knots and taking waves off the windshield! Ok time to put the life jackets on. We fish with bluff with the wind so strong I had to troll with the twin 200 zuks on to keep us off the rocks. 3 passes i pull the pin with a scary tight swell and hitting us sideways. Move over to rugged point and tuck into a protected bay and find some coho and take close to our limit. No springs this sideways rain day.

Final Day calm winds, weather sun and cloud. Head off shore for Halli. First spot drop anchor and decided to put chum cannons on the anchor line to prevent tangles. Hour passes not a bite? Decided to pull the anchor….wait our buoy system won’t work with the chum cannons on the anchor line! Yup pulling up 400 feet of anchor by hand…****! Fubars!
We move set up again put the chum cannons on the down riggers and send down the salmon bellys. I pass a drinks And sandwiches out…bam rod goes off….Halli in the boat…bam…bam..bam..4 in the boat…start cleaning up one rod still in the water. The rod buckles over…holly **** my buddy says I’m stuck on bottom! No bud it’s sand! 20mins later I see 6feet wide of white coming up... it flips over and comes to the surface….it’s the biggest skate I’ve ever seen! I can’t get the circle hook out so leave him a lip ring.
We pull up and figure it’s early let’s try for the trifecta. Head to a close rock pile cod…cod…cod..ling! We found a hole! Multiple drifts got us 5 big lings! Cod sent back.
ok time to hit spring island for the trifecta..we hit spring island…slow…****…thro down black flasher no bananas skinny g for a last ditch effort as the sun is getting low in the sky,..bam..bam…2 springs in the boat! High fives all around! Trifecta complete!

Next morning we are short 2 springs to limout, but we gotta go. Hit spring island early. Thro down the no bananas again…..bam..bam… we are done! Ya high fives! Pack up and head to fair harbour. I got a tire to change so head to the truck. My jaw drops as both my back truck tires are flat! Ya and one spare! So we buy 4 cans of puncture repair and cross our fingers….we make it by adding air in woss, sayward,Campbell river, and make it home to courtenay!

Another great trip complete! Cheers fellow fishers.

Last edited:
Some pics

Attachments

• 8087A6BB-41BB-4983-97EF-C819D06BA037.jpeg
    8087A6BB-41BB-4983-97EF-C819D06BA037.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 264
  • A2F42E25-C54F-4B84-8EBD-164BE29A157E.jpeg
    A2F42E25-C54F-4B84-8EBD-164BE29A157E.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 30094979-A39F-4BB3-A14D-D1918AFFA114.jpeg
    30094979-A39F-4BB3-A14D-D1918AFFA114.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 91C74606-8898-4047-AEA5-8BDE9B4C04A3.jpeg
    91C74606-8898-4047-AEA5-8BDE9B4C04A3.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 8578014F-3275-4347-BEFD-88E9135EADA7.jpeg
    8578014F-3275-4347-BEFD-88E9135EADA7.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 255
Heading up to fish on Sunday for four days. Any recent reports?
My wife and I just got back and fishing was good. The springs we caught were generally smaller than the past two years that we fished but there were still some nice ones and more coho around than our past trips. We landed two nice Hali 109 and 115 cm and caught eight ling. For salmon we used small spoons, coho killers and flash flies. We used some anchovies early on but gave up on that quickly with all the coho around and weeds!! The hardware produced well.

Think they were out of Winter Harbour if I remember correctly
Yes that's right but 2 fellows from Washington died a number of years ago. Maybe over 20 yrs as time flies by for me now, NW of lookout Island. Barrier Islands Found there boat still running with rods out . A third in the group opted out that day as it was rough. they had built a big gas tank in the boat and packed it in full and that lead to their demise. they were both found, one washed up on the Brooks . Probably a big swell and a wash rock did it . They had been coming to Kyuquot for several years. It was a solemn day in Kyuquot I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back