2021 Port Renfrew Reports

Anyone know if the coho derby is happening this year? Planning a trip possibly to Renfrew for the end of September and hoping to get into some coho. We fished the 2018 derby and it was very slow.
The rumour i heard it was cancelled.. You might want to phone Rex and find out for sure ?

Just returned from Renfrew. Gave Camper a try on Wed around tide change looking for a stray spring....no luck. We went out to the 500'-600' mark for the rest of Wed and Thursday. We caught about 25 wild, largest est. around 12 lbs, and were able to keep 4 hatch coho. The largest was also 12. Not many shakers for us. We were using hootchies, blue/green stripe on clear (60' on the rigger) and a clear with green glow spots and silver skirt (77'). Beautiful day on the water, light wind, sun and cloud.

Tried this morning. Weather was down right mean. Strong SE wind with lots of rain. We didn't last long. One wild and a small spring released for our troubles.

Well this rain in the mainland is telling me to go get my boat out of the water next weekend, fish a bit then close camp for the season, hope there is a few coho still around but my hopes are not to high. Season was filed with ups and down fishing wise this year, looking forward to next season already

Well this rain in the mainland is telling me to go get my boat out of the water next weekend, fish a bit then close camp for the season, hope there is a few coho still around but my hopes are not to high. Season was filed with ups and down fishing wise this year, looking forward to next season already
Anyone been out up in Renfrew? Hoping to try for some halibut or ling but not sure how the fishing is this time of year or best place to head out to, any help much appreciated.

Anyone been out up in Renfrew? Hoping to try for some halibut or ling but not sure how the fishing is this time of year or best place to head out to, any help much appreciated.
Heading on Thursday till Sunday myself, should be a few hali around still, North east corner is where I would try, lings have been hard to find ( legal) for me this year, lots of smaller ones but only one keeper for my efforts this year, worth the shot of carmana, should be a few coho around too

Heading on Thursday till Sunday myself, should be a few hali around still, North east corner is where I would try, lings have been hard to find ( legal) for me this year, lots of smaller ones but only one keeper for my efforts this year, worth the shot of carmana, should be a few coho around too
Thanks for the info - are you suggesting Carmanah for the halibut as well as the coho?

Thank you, really appreciate the info.
It is tough to to fish halibut this time of the year. Big swells and lots of wind even if you try Carmanah and not Swiftsure Bank.
I would limit my fishing to Coho off the buoy at the entrance of the Harbor.

West Entrance Strait Of Juan De Fuca-
844 AM PDT Wed Sep 29 2021
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...

.TODAY...SE wind 15 to 25 kt easing to 10 to 20 kt in the
afternoon. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 8 ft at 10 seconds. Rain
in the morning then a chance of rain in the afternoon.
.TONIGHT...E wind 10 to 20 kt becoming SE 15 to 25 kt after
midnight. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. SW swell 7 ft at 10 seconds. A
chance of rain in the evening then rain after midnight.
.THU...SW wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 7 ft
at 11 seconds building to 9 ft at 11 seconds in the afternoon.
Rain.
.THU NIGHT...W wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less. W swell
9 ft at 12 seconds.
.FRI...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 8 ft at
12 seconds.
.FRI NIGHT...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 7 ft
at 12 seconds.
.SAT...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 7 ft.
.SUN...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 8 ft.

It is tough to to fish halibut this time of the year. Big swells and lots of wind even if you try Carmanah and not Swiftsure Bank.
I would limit my fishing to Coho off the buoy at the entrance of the Harbor.

West Entrance Strait Of Juan De Fuca-
844 AM PDT Wed Sep 29 2021
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...

.TODAY...SE wind 15 to 25 kt easing to 10 to 20 kt in the
afternoon. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 8 ft at 10 seconds. Rain
in the morning then a chance of rain in the afternoon.
.TONIGHT...E wind 10 to 20 kt becoming SE 15 to 25 kt after
midnight. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. SW swell 7 ft at 10 seconds. A
chance of rain in the evening then rain after midnight.
.THU...SW wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 7 ft
at 11 seconds building to 9 ft at 11 seconds in the afternoon.
Rain.
.THU NIGHT...W wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less. W swell
9 ft at 12 seconds.
.FRI...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 8 ft at
12 seconds.
.FRI NIGHT...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 7 ft
at 12 seconds.
.SAT...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 7 ft.
.SUN...Light wind. Wind waves less than 1 ft. W swell 8 ft.
Big long swell are fine at least for me, use to it, short tight swells with winds suckkkkk, looks like fri, sat, sun will be fine, would not feel great in a smaller boat lol. Can be decent fishing for coho at the mouth of the river, it will be better then being in the house. But yes storm season is upon us and not a nice place to be when the storms hit

Last edited:
Big long swell are fine at least for me, use to it, short tight swells with winds suckkkkk, looks like fri, sat, sun will be fine, would not feel great in a smaller boat lol. Can be decent fishing for coho at the mouth of the river, it will be better then being in the house. But yes storm season is upon us and not a nice place to be when the storms hit
agreed looking like better on the weekend. Coho fishing in Sooke is crazy good right now anyhow, might try a few hours for Hali there today.

Four days spent off Renfrew. It seems to be picking up. Lots of action in the 550'-650' depths. Started around 66'-80' on the riggers and found they were deeper this morning, 110'-120'. Green hootchies, with clear, spots, stripes etc seemed to be the ticket. The fish are very non-selective.
First day we caught 1, having arrived later in the day. The second and third day were busier with at least 15 to the boat each day. It took 2 hours this morning to bring 7 to the boat. Some good size hatchery, along with larger wilds.

Running with the current was much more productive.

I used to really like long period big swells at Renfrew too. Me about 1983 or so.
99AloneRenfrew.jpg

99Munoz_at_PR.jpg
Not me below but an indicator of the fun that can be had at times. Think that's Tony Stein, a really good goofy-footer from back then.
GoodRenfrew.jpg

Surfed alone here a lot back in the day.
1982-83 El Nino was great for bigger surf too.

Take care.

I had made up my mind to only take one fish if I was lucky enough to land one on this day of beach fishing in Port Renfrew. And I stuck to the plan.

I don't know how you managed to leave after one. I'd have been casting until dark, no doubt. Nice work out there this year!

Back