2021 Port Renfrew Reports

I don't know how you managed to leave after one. I'd have been casting until dark, no doubt. Nice work out there this year!

Well, maybe, but you're still a young pup, relatively speaking. My breathing was laboured just landing that one fish in the video, so I was more than willing to stick to the plan. And the day we fished together I was just gasping by the time I carried my one fish back to the car--and I was trying to put on a good front! Ha!

There were a couple of more days when I felt good enough to pack two fish back, but it hurt even with a few one-fish days in between.

Well, maybe, but you're still a young pup, relatively speaking. My breathing was laboured just landing that one fish in the video, so I was more than willing to stick to the plan. And the day we fished together I was just gasping by the time I carried my one fish back to the car--and I was trying to put on a good front! Ha!

There were a couple of more days when I felt good enough to pack two fish back, but it hurt even with a few one-fish days in between.
Haha, it's pretty awesome you got to the point of deciding you were only going to keep one while I was digging my rod pieces out of the gravel after dumping my kayak in the surf. I might have to dig around in the sand to try to find your lucky horseshoe.

It was a great year up there and hopefully the trends we saw this year will continue next season.

All that said, I did get into a few up there. Photo from Sept:
renfrew_coho.jpeg

Great video, and nice fish. What did it end up weighing in at? I'm not familiar with your lure rig, can you share what it is?

Thanks. I believe that one came in at just over 10 1/2 pounds. (That isn't a cutting board that it's on in the photo at the end of the video, it's a four-foot cleaning table.) The lure is just a straightforward 2 1/2-inch Buzz Bomb on a six-foot, 15-pound test flourocarbon leader to a 10-pound test braid main line.

Haha, it's pretty awesome you got to the point of deciding you were only going to keep one while I was digging my rod pieces out of the gravel after dumping my kayak in the surf. I might have to dig around in the sand to try to find your lucky horseshoe.

It was a great year up there and hopefully the trends we saw this year will continue next season.

All that said, I did get into a few up there. Photo from Sept:
View attachment 71846
thats a biggie

Thanks. I believe that one came in at just over 10 1/2 pounds. (That isn't a cutting board that it's on in the photo at the end of the video, it's a four-foot cleaning table.) The lure is just a straightforward 2 1/2-inch Buzz Bomb on a six-foot, 15-pound test flourocarbon leader to a 10-pound test braid main line.
Its a great vid, thanks for sharing and for the details on the gear - I'm lucky to fish from a boat up there when I go and haven't been shore fishing in the area.

Back