2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Anyone know when the commercial fleet starts? Running in from Barkley last Sunday I was surprised at how many commercial boats were anchored up along the inlet

We came back from Barkley on Wednesday and there were a few working but not as many as were holding when we went out on Sunday. I see on the harbour cam that they are holding again waiting for another opening. What are they targeting?

Anyone know when the commercial fleet starts? Running in from Barkley last Sunday I was surprised at how many commercial boats were anchored up along the inlet
A few years ago it was taking two vessels/seiners to load one set around Ten mile. Nets were so full. I watched three or four sets like that in a row, just bulging with fish it took two boats for one set. And they drifted down past the marker too.
Targeting, they catch everything

Both FN EO gillnets, gillnet, and seine had openings this week, with seiners finishing up yesterday (25th and 26th openings)

FN Economic Opportunity gillnet opening on August 29th & August 30th

Next round of openings are August 30th for seiners and August 31st until September 1st for gillnets

Source:

Last edited:
FN Economic Opportunity gillnet opening on August 29th & August 30th

Both gillnet and seine had openings this week, with seiners finishing up yesterday (25th and 26th openings)

Next round of openings are August 30th for seiners and August 31st until September 1st for gillnets

Source:
Yup just before the derby , idots can't put it off for a week or so ??? ..... really ! (maybe the derby has to be moved up 2 weeks because DFO doesn't realize how much money it brings to Port , way fricken more than the commerical catch)

Yup just before the derby , idots can't put it off for a week or so ??? ..... really ! (maybe the derby has to be moved up 2 weeks because DFO doesn't realize how much money it brings to Port , way fricken more than the commerical catch)
I agree however the good news is test fisheries are saying there is 51,000 chinook from the mouth of the river to barclay sound, lots to go around right now and should be pushes of fresh fish daily during the derby even after the openings.

Still lots of sockeye in the inlet aswell as some new schools showing up, hopefully to bump the final escapement to what is needed, with the cooler temperatures and some rain the river should become more welcoming for migration. Think the only concern from what i've read is oxygen levels in the canal are not great and on borderline stressful to holding fish.

Last edited:
Slow today. Landed 1 small fish and had 1 strike. We fished China Creek up to Dunsmuir. Didn't see a single decent fish caught. A couple of our friends boats got 1 fish each.

A few of the guys at the dock said they fared a bit better down towards Cous.

A little slower today, still managed to get 6 fish on. Landed 3, a 19 and 10 pound spring and a nice10 pound coho. Anchovies at 41 and 65 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_41991.jpg
    IMG_41991.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 130
Thinking of halling out my kayak to try for salmon in the chuck. Is there a closed area in the harbor?
Can't find a good map online that shows the harbor area and any closer

Slow for us this morning around Coulsons mill. Went 1 for 3 for actually hookups but had a number of hits that didn’t stick. Saw very few fish landed. Lots of springs showing and still lots of sockeye around. Pink bubblegum had bulk of action.

Fished CK area last two days, "skunked", good times but worst trip for fish ever. Never seen
anyone catch anything other than very small fish.

Fished CK area last two days, "skunked", good times but worst trip for fish ever. Never seen
anyone catch anything other than very small fish.
The Gill Nets were in last week and then the bag fleet....hauled them all out. Apparently same thing going to happen right before the Derby. Shame on DFO!
Happened for most of the last 17 years I have fished port.

The Gill Nets were in last week and then the bag fleet....hauled them all out. Apparently same thing going to happen right before the Derby. Shame on DFO!
Happened for most of the last 17 years I have fished port.
Probably going to get it right in about 17 more, or until the salmon are all gone. Would have thought once Pattison got is slimy hands out of it and moved to Alaska for bigger cash the pressure would have been off the DFO but nope .....cant fix stupid I guess

Out this morning....Brutal. fished from Coulson's all the way to Mctush and saw 2 fish hooked and landed.... Best we heard was one boat that got 2 out at Pill point for the morning. With the commercial fleet going back tomorrow the fish may not be good for a while yet if at all this Chinook season. There have been a few decent mornings but nothing like it should be for the numbers they have called for.... Good luck if you are headed out. Hope they decide to come in and avoid the nets and bite your hooks!

Out this morning....Brutal. fished from Coulson's all the way to Mctush and saw 2 fish hooked and landed.... Best we heard was one boat that got 2 out at Pill point for the morning. With the commercial fleet going back tomorrow the fish may not be good for a while yet if at all this Chinook season. There have been a few decent mornings but nothing like it should be for the numbers they have called for.... Good luck if you are headed out. Hope they decide to come in and avoid the nets and bite your hooks!
No kidding..fished sat, sun. one coho in the am. Saturday am caught one coho, then a bud said they were heading to pill, so, we went out as well. Nothing, not a sniff..Sunday we fished 6-9 am 1 spring 8 lbs or so.Tough going for sure..

Back