2019 Halibut Fishery

A couple of questions I would like to clarify...

The notice above is noting halibut open with daily limit 1 and size limit 115cm. Possession 2 with second fish under 83cm.

Questions:
1/ Is there an official notice of what regs will be April 1st yet?
2/ If I am local and I take a 110cm hali on Saturday and return to my residence, can I retain a 110cm hali on Sunday?

Thanks

A couple of questions I would like to clarify...

The notice above is noting halibut open with daily limit 1 and size limit 115cm. Possession 2 with second fish under 83cm.

Questions:
1/ Is there an official notice of what regs will be April 1st yet?
2/ If I am local and I take a 110cm hali on Saturday and return to my residence, can I retain a 110cm hali on Sunday?

Thanks

#1- Still waiting for DFO to officially announce the regulations that will kick in on Aril first.

#2- Yes. As long as you do not exceed the daily limit of one, and provided the fish in your possession is at your normal place of residence you may keep another fish up to max size limit the next day.

#1- Still waiting for DFO to officially announce the regulations that will kick in on Aril first.

#2- Yes. As long as you do not exceed the daily limit of one, and provided the fish in your possession is at your normal place of residence you may keep another fish up to max size limit the next day.

Thanks

I just purchased my 2019 fishing licence. It has a note on it about halibut retention:

You can be in possession of only one fish 90-126cm, or two under 90cm. If you have one over, you cannot be in possession of any other halibut.

you are allow.. 1 fish to 126cm.. daily 1, poss 1 or you can choose to have 1 a day 90cm or under and poss of 2 under 90 cms or under per person...

Want more TAC just go and buy it.

Definitely NOT the right answer! Canada's halibut, like all our wild fisheries belong to all the citizens of Canada. This has been a very hard won right in common law starting back to the Magna Carta. We cannot allow OUR common property resources be privatized and sold off to the highest bidder! :mad:

This is why the experimental halibut quota program is completely WRONG and very short sighted and sets a VERY dangerous precedent for all of the rest of OUR fisheries. Unfortunately, the way all the political parties are going these days we the people will have to protect this right by taking our case to the Supreme Court.

Last edited:
I am not going to argue about this one as I think the whole program is BS and also the Idea of buying up tac forever is ridiculous. There is already a huge debate going on about it in the Fisheries Committee, I assume all of you that feel so negative about it have submitted your feedback to the committee that is currently reviewing it like all the commercial fishermen and ENGO's have.

But as the way the system currently stands the only way we are going to get more TAC is if we buy it ourselves though some sort of funding program where were can buy tac for the long term. Think I read the going rate is $120+ a pound now or we buy it ourselves.

I am sure all of you concerned individuals have been following this very closely

http://www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/FOPO/StudyActivity?studyActivityId=10380159

Back