2016 Sidney

Fished Spit and Mandarte From noon - 3:30 yesterday. Probably the least productive time and it showed. Some fish around following the bait around and a couple of small jumpers on the surface. Tried all depths and all lures/anchovies and not one sniff. Highlight of the day - dropped the ball to the bottom and hearing the braid snap within moments of raising it up a couple feet. Goodbye Ball, Snubber, Sure Stop, quick release and 62ft of 150lb braid. :(
I'm so adept at losing cannonballs that I've wised up and switched to gangion line tied to a coastal lock. Make my own clips by buying the Scotty clips (just the clip with no line or ferrule) and tying on 200# mono. Buy the 15# balls on Craigslist in bulk. Out the door cost is down to $33 US. Not so painful anymore. Dragging bottom for black mouth across the border takes its toll.

Tried our luck red can to powder wharf a couple baby coho nothing else lots of bait calm flat water. There was maybe 2 other boats not much action that I could see. Oh well goid day to be out with my kids.

Bonked a nice 9# hatchery coho in Sidney Channel today. G-force spoon and betsy flasher. Saw a nice sized coho get netted at the bluffs earlier on as well.

Out for a couple hours today, mostly just to test my new cabin heater and make sure everything else still works before the boats annual servicing. Released a small guy around Wain rock, went to try and fish Coal or Fairfax for a bit but the wind got up on my way over so I packed it in. Saw 1 other fish netted, looked to be about 5 lbs or so.

Back