2013 Bamfield Tuna Shootout recaps and pics

Hey Kelly,

I have been trying to get my writeup done but have been really busy at work and for the next couple of weeks...I am off for a little deer hunting then down to Mexico for some true rest and relax...I may have a writeup for a mag in the end...I need to talk to you first to make sure all would be cool...Jeff seemed okay with it...figure I could pull it off...give me a shout when you get a chance

Sounds good buddy! This work thing is really getting in the way, my write up is 3/4 finished.

GBT-dont know what brand they were,, i think we had four different types but basically all were hali rods with a roller tip.. i learned you need to roll the rod in the rod holder and make sure the line is in the pulley and in the same general direction that the tuna is gonna hit..especially with whips out.

slivo would prolly know the brandnames..

thanks again tuna don for a really cool experience.

i wonder if and when the big coast crew/ridelounge is producing a show from their week?

tuna fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7os6JoDfrkQ&feature=youtu.be

:cool::cool::cool:

highlights,,, 15 mins into my tuna virginity and we get six on...
slivo asking don repetitively to slow down and never getting a response. for two days :)
sleeping overnight tied off with fifth ailment,,,-25-40kt gusts.. 3m seas
sounding like everyone on the radio was on tuna and calling out numbers all over the map
slivo's dad and don calling him a social butterfly
istvan and ivo driving around us all night
knowing this will happen again in 2014 and a week earlier, bonus.

thanks again bctough!! and bamfield community!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the vid! We will be putting together a promo for next year soon.

I finally got a chance yesterday to put together my writeup. Please ignore the spelling mistakes ect, ill review it later this week and clean things up! If anyone wants to add or clarify anything from my account just shoot me a message.

http://www.bctough.com/2013/02/02/2013bts/

Great vid trophywife!!!

Outstanding right up Kelly.

Thanks for sharing these:cool:. It helps with the withdrawals a little:p. I'm already planning for next year. New and improved slush tank, getting parts for my Taco outriggers, upgrading my kill bag to a pear shaped Reliable, better tackle organization, etc., etc., etc. lol:D.

all depends on water temps... july to oct... out to the canyons..

40km sure would be sweet. However I have not caught anything that close in before. Maybe some guys have experience catching tuna up on the shelf. Most guys out of Bamfield are fishing from JDF canyon to Loudoun Canyon and often outside the canyons in deep water.

Have a read through the Tuna Adventures thread on here. Tons of great info.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That write up was so good I feel comfortable calling it my last official tuna rush of the year. 30 boats at once WOW!!!! I may have to come be a deckhand or volunteer or something next year!

Grandbanks Tom. As others have said, it all depends on the water temps and how close the warm water is. That varies a bit from year to year. Generally, tuna are within range of the recreational fleet between sometime in July and sometime in October. Typically we are fishing in 3000'-6000' of water - e.g. off the edge of the shelf. That's usually about 45-70miles (72- 112km). Farther south at the S. end of Washington state, the shelf is a bit closer and the warm water and tuna come in a bit closer (anywhere from 25-45miles). Also, on the N. end of Vancouver island the shelf is a bit closer. Regardless though, you need a boat with plenty of fuel and a range in excess of 120miles and preferably much larger. I typically burn about 100gal of fuel per trip and do 60 miles out and back (120 miles total) + another 60-100 miles of trolling (6-12 hours at 8kts).

There were tuna caught 8 miles off of brooks this year

There were tuna caught 8 miles off of brooks this year
I believe those are the fish referred to 35 miles out of Winter Harbour. My sources tell me 15 miles off Solander. About 6 years ago I was fishing the hiway early September off Winter Harbour-I saw what I was convinced were tuna about a mile outside of me. I have seen and fished Tuna in Mexico many times so I don't think I was mistaken-that would put them at a max-10 miles off Kains. I've been carrying Clones ever since!LOL

Back