2007 season

Down here the outlook is poor for Chinook. Thats OK because I am not sure I believe it. I think our fisheries departments are not going to call a good year until one happens now. I am optimistic as this will be our return of the 2002 five year old fish. My bet is on the 2008 return as we had the best fishing ever in 2003. I have never seen fishing this good anywhere on earth in my entire life during that year. We caught more 40 and 50 pound kings that year. In fact two friends got a 58 and a 62 pounder out of Westport. 2002/3/4/5 were pretty good king years and I am hoping there will be quite a few available for catching. Last year was tough, but we caught them in Grays Harbor on their way through. Still got a 40+ that I had to release. You could not get your hand around its tail, it was so big. I am stil smiling thinking about that fish. I think our fisheries have no idea. Taht is why they keep letting them net them way to hard in the mighty Columbia.

It is a Fraser River year for the Pinks. Most travel the West Coast of Van Isle then loop back up to the Fraser River system. Odd years Fraser/ Even years the pinks return to East Van Isle tributaries.

quote:Originally posted by RobTufnail

aggressive, shallow water, acrobatic salmon.
put them on light gear its a hell of a good time, springs have a different kind of fun to their fight, just my opinion though.
im glad to catch either

true.
i just like springs better. lots of power!

quote:Originally posted by Backatit

seem to remember something like 5000 adult coho to the Stamp (might be wrong, but the numbers were posted in a different thread). That is absolutely horrendous!

found it...my guess was a little low, but still ****ty

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4821&SearchTerms=stamp,coho

thats pretty funny with those numbers

first words say thanks to idians
you know it's gotta be wrong
what idian do you know, would be right on that one?

No mongoose just tired of your dumb questions thats all!!!!

Wolf

Interesting info about the timing of the plankton blooms and release of fish OBD.

I had come across a story a few years back where they were thinking that the Coho weren't doing well in the strait due to salinity levels (too low I believe). Not sure if I understand what problem that would cause unless it affects the availability or type of food. I'll have to do a search and see what I come up with on the net.

I have noticed that almost all the shakers I catch now are Chinook. Not sure if that's just a Sunshine Coast deal or if that's Southern BC wide echoing the lack of Coho out there....

pablo same here on the other side of the staight. I have read and hear about the blueback fishery that used to occur in may. Not old enough to have experienced it first had and now thats gone. Anyone here lucky enough to fish back when the straight had great fishing?

Easy there Wolf. I don't think Mongoose was out of line.
His halibut advise may have been "questionable" but asking if the pinks return this year seems alright to me. Topic is "2007 Season".

Hope to see some pinks this year. Last run was weak. I think the change in water temperature has changed their patterns. Last time through they ran deep and further out. IMO.

Tips

I grew up in Lantzville. Started fishing as a kid in about '78...stopped in about '94 when the fish disappeared. There were coho present from May through to October, best in August and September. The campsite in Lantzville was overbooked most of July and all of August. There was a line-up at the ramp every evening (there's now a new monster house built on the site, living room facing were the old ramp was[V]. Back then there was herring everywhere, and we fished with raked herring and a 2 oz weight (strip casting). ~90% of the catch was coho, but man was it cool the couple times a year you hooked into a 20 lb spring on a mootching rod with 15 lb test and a 2 oz weight (holding the rod when it hit)! DFO started limiting the catch for chinook and increasing the min size...but right up to when I stopped fishing, you could keep 4 12" coho, and many people weren't ashamed to do so.
Not everyone caught a lot of fish, but a few of the locals did regularly. My old man used to be pissed if we didn't get our limit (I guess old-school attitudes like that contributed to the demise), but never kept anything near the min size, and ate everthing we caught.
Bloods Creek in Lantzville still has coho fry in it, so they're not all gone.
After moving back from Edmonton a couple years ago, I bought a boat. I took my Dad out to Grey Rock, Winchelsea and Ballenas one day (first time in 12 years). Grey Rock...10 seals, no bait, no fish...Winchelsea...nothing....Ballenas....some herring, but no fish.

My opinion...ramp up the output from the Big and Little Qualicums (stock some of the viable streams)...limit the commercial herring catch....encourage more people to volunteer for their local streamkeepers associations.

I was fortunate to experience one of the most amazing fisheries, right in my back yard. It literally brings tears to my eyes thinking that my kids won't experience it also.

Dan

That sounds like most of the stories i heard from an old timer i fished with. He would bucktail and catch fish all day off french creek and nanoose. No downriggers needed

I started fishing the Sunshine Coast in the mid-70's. It used to be rare to catch a Chinook as compared with the more common Coho. September used to be especially good because the larger "Northerns" would begin to show up and give you a great acrobatic fight. I remember that there were times when it really didn't matter what type of lure or bait you were fishing with, you'd be sure to catch something. Rows and rows of boats used to be anchored off the points mooching with live herring. Charter boats would regularly fish the area. Mooching was the rule and trolling was the exception. Seeing a seal was a rarity.

Now, there are days in the summer where I may be the only boat fishing. I'll be watched by one to ten seals. They communicate with one another across the bay by breeching and slapping their "flippers" against the water. I don't recall this behaviour in the 70's or 80's. Eel grass beds have gotten smaller or disappeared altogether. The intertidal zone seems less "lively" and clamming has dropped off.

Yep, it's changed.... sad really. Hopefully, we'll see it come back to what it used to be.

(Yep, it's changed.... sad really. Hopefully, we'll see it come back to what it used to be)

With the predicted increase in population to the sunshine coast and lower mainland unfortunately I think it is only going to get worse :( :( :(

quote:We have been doing swim counts since the end of August weekly and we have seen 1 pink the whole time. Last year we released 600,000 pinks so there will be a big return next year.

that was in a nanaimo river forum from last november.

quote:We have been doing swim counts since the end of August weekly and we have seen 1 pink the whole time. Last year we released 600,000 pinks so there will be a big return next year.

that was in a nanaimo river forum from last november.

Does anyone know why the pinks are on the inside of VI on even years and on the outside on the odd years. Why don't we have them every year? We have all the other salmon every year. I have heard some kind of natural diasater? Anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone know why the pinks are on the inside of VI on even years and on the outside on the odd years. Why don't we have them every year? We have all the other salmon every year. I have heard some kind of natural diasater? Anyone have any ideas?

buddy its okay, pinks spawn every other year...no need to insue panic in the hearts of pink salmon anglers[:p]

buddy its okay, pinks spawn every other year...no need to insue panic in the hearts of pink salmon anglers[:p]

Back