2006 suzuki 250

albernifisher

Im looking at a boat with a 2006 suzuki 250, it has 850 hours on it. How many hours can you expect to get out of these motors,anything I should be aware of?

One think to check is that the driveshaft isn't stuck into the bottom of the crank. Those 250's have an issue with corrosion getting at the top of the driveshaft and basically welding themselves in. You can't drop the leg and a few have had to resort to cutting the driveshaft to drop the leg. I believe a $1,500 to $2,000 bill by the time the dust settles.

One think to check is that the driveshaft isn't stuck into the bottom of the crank. Those 250's have an issue with corrosion getting at the top of the driveshaft and basically welding themselves in. You can't drop the leg and a few have had to resort to cutting the driveshaft to drop the leg. I believe a $1,500 to $2,000 bill by the time the dust settles.

Wow, I havnt heard that one yet. Ive had mine apart a few times without any probs. I think its important to ensure the splines are clean and greased upon reassembly. Im just putting mine back together after 3 head gasket failures. I ended up completely disassembling the block and machining the heads and block deck surfaces. Im confident this has solved the prob and do not expect any more probs.

IFL if you drop the leg each year and watch for any rust...I believe there is a seal that fails allowing water to get at the coupling and keep it lubed your ok. SG Power had one show up for an impeller replacement, it was 3 years old...the guy had been going from shop to shop trying to find someone who could get it apart. It finally had to be cut off. SG also had one in for the same head gasket prob you describe. They assembled and tore it apart 3 times before Susuki told them to use a sealing compound with the gaskets. Their mechanics didn't like the head bolt spacing which are farther apart than other big 4 strokes like Yams and Honda. Just a theory because they never came to a definitive conclusion, just that the sealant stopped the water leak.

Back