2005 F225 four stroke Yamajunk for parts

hooktender68

The common Yamaha cancer caused the death of an 850 hr'd 225. Errosion took the head and mid section from the inside out. Parts are limited to non engine mechanical. Starter, computer, leg, cowling, wiring, nuts and bolts etc. Going back to dealer on Monday. Block would make a good, free halibut anchor!!

It is. Just for fun Goggle Yamaha corrsion/errosion problem and do a bit of research into the issue, (The Hull Truth) its quite interesting, doesnt matter how often the zincs are done/flushed etc. On that note any one considering a used one in the 02-06 era of 200, 225-250hp Yamaha, do you homework and pay to have it throughly scoped. Yamaha Canada had admitted to me and others there was a flaw in the internal coatings of some engines and that the zincs were too hard.......
Hard to believe no big lawsuit ever has become of this outthere yet.

Definitely putting this thread to the attention of my buddy, running his '05 - yam250. Sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope the dealer can do something with Yamaha Canada but by the sounds of it little has been done but keep it on the down-low. Best of luck, thanks for the (disheartening) information.

-FB

I run a Grady with twins on it. They're year 2000 originals and now have better than 3000 hours per side.....never been apart and still going like the energizer bunny... minimal oil consumption. So no complaints so far. However, the corrosion tick tick tick tick BOOM issue is happening a lot out there....time will blow up anything

Last edited by a moderator:
it was limited to a few years of production, not all of their products. Still a few years is ALOT of engines, and when the issue was discovered, and self admitted to be yamahas fault, they crapped on their customers and told them it was their problem to deal with.
For that reason alone i would never go with a yamaha IF a competitor had a competing product to offer.

I owned a 2002-F225 with 150 hours on it and the corrosion hit it. At that time Yamaha did not really know the problem so they threw a new power head at it and called it a day. Sold the boat with 430 hours on the engine and don't know if it came back or not. There are lots of Yamaha guys in the States that don't know about this problem so I guess it doesn't hit all the engines.

I did the research and found it to be more of an issue in the early years say 04-06
Apparently 06 got better and now all is well
On the other note...I've got 06 twin 200 zukes that have been awesome....

x2, had twin 225 Yami's on my Grady with only 200 hours when imported from US. Put Zukes on it right away because I'm not a Yami fan...sure glad I did. Rather unfortunately, I replaced my 9.9 yami kicker with the new style yami 9.9 with smaller power head...What a pile of junk...never again. Biggest mistake ever. Runs rough, trouble starting it and worse, it doesn't push my boat like the older 9.9 with the larger power head. Be warned if you are looking to purchase a kicker.

My limited understanding is only big block 4 strokes. Who knows about the kickers? All I can say is stay away from the new 9.9 if you are thinking it is a real 9.9. Its just a 6 hp dressed up like a 9.9. POS.

My new to me is a 2003 250 HPDI 2 stroke, it was advertized as a 2005, but that's another issue.
As for the 9.9, yes, I have been told to find one based on the destroked 15 hp model, not the current 9.9/6 hp.

The issue is only related to 4Stroke 225-250 HP 2001-2005 (Says Yamaha Dealer in NC). I bought HPDI and am not looking back

BTW - They (Yamaha) do have a corossion kit that you can buy to resolve any issues. Not cheap but it fixes the problem!!

Hi searun , what year 9.9 are you talking, I put on a 09 with very low hours last year and also find it to runrough and to be a little under powered.

My 9.9 Yami is a 2010. Did a run up today on my boat, as she hasn't been run for a few weeks. Both Zukes started no problem...Yami took forever to start and ran rough. Unfortunately, I sold my old Yami 9.9 which was a 2005 with the large power head on it. Should have re-built it. I think I will wait to see what the new Suzuki 20 HP looks like when they bring it out. There may be a 9.9 yami on the market this spring.

Back