2 year axle.

What exactly are Speedy Sleeves? Where do you get them?

Generally speaking the spindles of your axle are made from a piece of solid steel with two precision machined surfaces where the bearing cones fit over. The inner bearing surface of the spindle also has an area that a seal runs on. Inevitably this area erodes and allows the intrusion of water. The area that the seal runs on is now always compromised and will forever allow dirt and water in. A speedi sleeve is a thin piece of stainless steel that installs with a special tool over this area and allows the new seal to seal properly once again, and further because it is stainless. it does not corrode like the base metal under it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speedi sleeves are a stainless steel sleeve that fits over the spindle. Good ones are made by Chicago rawhide which is a division of SKF bearings. Lordco has them as does any reputable spring and wheel shop. I put my own on but it is not recommended if you aren't very handy and used to measuring to close tolerances.

Ok, thanks gungadin & spring fever - my trailer already has those. I will have to see if they are good or not.

I just had my oil bath bearing hubs repacked for the upcoming season. The place I take it to is now recommending that the bearings be packed in grease and the 90w oil used in addition. This is a change from how they have been maintained in the past bot something that they say is now being recommended and which they have been doing on boat trailers as well as big rig trailers. Anyone else heard of this?

No I have not heard of it but it makes sense I suppose-If you have an oil leak on the hiway then your bearings should still be good. I have had oil bath bearings for the last 8 years and maintain my own-if a cap ( only plastic) were to crack and you lose the oil it could be catastrophic-I have never had this happen so will have to think about it. I am still on the same 4 sets of bearings I started with from 8 years ago-used to use a set a year. My only thought is will the 90w oil degrade the grease?

A couple of years ago coming back from Gold River I had a catastrophic failure of an oil bath bearing. At a fuel stop I checked all four hubs and they were running 15 - 20 degrees warmer than ambient air temperature, which was on the cool side of normal (I use a digital heat sensor at all stops and/or every 100 miles). 5 miles later I had smoke and sparks off the right front hub with the end result being a blown bearing and spindle. Our guess is that road debris kicked up and hit the oil bath cover dumping the oil leading to an instant overheat.

I asked the shop where I had the work done and they maintain that the grease and 90w oil are compatible and that this is common practice on big rig trailers. Sure is new to me however.

Makes sense. Grease is just oil in a thickening agent that slowly releases the oil to do its job of lubricating. I read the other day while doing bearings how it is not a good idea to mix greases, especially a lithium based grease with a soda based grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will find a compatible grease and oil and do that this winter. Not a big deal as I have all the bearings out for inspection anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back