2 stroke or 4 stroke

There are still some old 2 strokes from the 60's and 70's still operating out there. Back before oil injection OMC had a decent product for the time.

My 1989 evinrude 110 is still running strong on a single rebuild. Well over 2000 hours and since converted to jet 10 years ago, it runs at two speeds..... on (as in WOT) and idle. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Two stroke's the way to go for your main power for sure! As profisher pointed out,lower maintainence,and cheaper rebuilds when the time
comes. If I had the bucks, I'd go for a new Etec. As for a kicker,love my 8hp Honda 4 stroke. No fumes,quiet,and runs all day on a gallon
of gas!

Can't say for all brands but with Yami it's pretty easy - all the four strokes have an F in front of the model name. F225, F150, F115, etc. Not always on the hood but definitely on the sticker on the mounting bracket. Honda is all four strokes, period. Suzi pretty much now too.

Keep in mind your gonna get a lot more hours out of a maintained 4-Strk than you will with a comparable 2-Strk.

I don't know where you get that information but I certainly disagree with it.
Dave

my answer i would never buy a two stroke again. i put on average about 100hrs a year on my main (4 stroke 225)i change my engine oil once with top brand synthetic oils 140 bucks.i carry jerry cans of fuel to my boat and don't have to worry about how much oil is in the tank. i don't have a gross oily container in my boat that uses expensive oil that my engine BURNS. no matter what any one says there two stroke when running in perfect condition exhaust burnt oil .i had over 2500 hrs on my last yammie 225 4strk(bought used from the police) no rebuilds no oil burning. i sold it with the boat and last i heard it was still running great for the guy.

Different strokes for different folks.
popCorn1.gif

my answer i would never buy a two stroke again. i put on average about 100hrs a year on my main (4 stroke 225)i change my engine oil once with top brand synthetic oils 140 bucks.i carry jerry cans of fuel to my boat and don't have to worry about how much oil is in the tank. i don't have a gross oily container in my boat that uses expensive oil that my engine BURNS. no matter what any one says there two stroke when running in perfect condition exhaust burnt oil .i had over 2500 hrs on my last yammie 225 4strk(bought used from the police) no rebuilds no oil burning. i sold it with the boat and last i heard it was still running great for the guy.

Different strokes for different folks.
popCorn1.gif

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Someone, please show me a 4 stroke outboard that will outlast one of these bad boys

70hp-johnson-seahorse_5268760.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back