17.5 alum walk around

Wondering about the riveted aluminum, safe enough on inside waters? Just stay home if it is choppy? Clearly they are less money than a welded hull for a reason, but I'm
thinking it may be an acceptable tradeoff, unless there is another risk to the rivets than I have imagined. Any experiences or insights would be welcome before I get negotiating,
Thanks.

I'm sure they are made better these days,
in the old days the rivets would fail over time and you would develop slow leaks

I have a 14 foot 2013 Lund welded aluminum and we love it. They are double riveted. These boats will last forever if treated right.

"I'm sure they are made better these days,"

maybe they do, but this one was built 1989, still a nice looking boat and great for local waters and lakes. I have a 17 1/2 armstrong (solid welded alum) with a 2015 115 etec with 115 hrs on it with 4 1/2 yrs left on warranty that I will be putting up for sale in the next little while, am struggling a bit with how to price it (haven't decided what will go with it and what I will keep for my next boat) but I do want to get as much as I can for it as i know they are in demand.

Wondering about the riveted aluminum, safe enough on inside waters? Just stay home if it is choppy? Clearly they are less money than a welded hull for a reason, but I'm
thinking it may be an acceptable tradeoff, unless there is another risk to the rivets than I have imagined. Any experiences or insights would be welcome before I get negotiating,
Thanks.

My dad has a riveted aluminum Starcraft from the 70's that has been used an abused all over BC including off the west coast. Leaky Rivets can be replaced easily, we rented the rivet gun from the place that sold us the rivets. Looks for any signs of corrosion, electrolysis. Also check the transom out well, it is likely plywood and aluminum and the plywood can rot. The flooring could also need to be replaced as well, look for soft spots. A new 17.5 foot welded aluminum outfitted like that could run 60k. Remember to buy new floater jackets for you and all your guests if you want to fish outside of the heat of summer in a t-top. Nice boat...

Been running Lunds for 30 plus years. No leaks. Have 5 years on a 1994, 17 1/2 Fisherman. Rare on the used market and a lot less cash than welded. Check what kaelc suggested and if it passes, go for it. You won't lose much if you flip it in a few years. Personally I like a full canvas top as winter fishing can be nippy. YMMV.

Thanks for input, a somewhat informed decision is always better than my usual method. Gonna go shopping....
Might need more of a top or canvas, wife and grandkids have to be comfortable.

Back