14ft Aluminum choices

Coxswain

Just sold a larger boat but I'm toying with the idea of getting a small open aluminum for fishing/crabbing off Victoria/Sooke. Probably around 15ft and no more than 30 horses. Two people and a dog at most. Opinions? Recommendations?

you’re gonna hate the budget boats in that size. low gunnels etc. lifetimer is a nice boat there is a beauty silver streak in that size i always drool over.

Lund, Smokercraft Alaskan, Lifetimer, Princecraft or maybe a Cope if you get lucky. Get something with a 20” transom, and I’d go tiller steer for better control and more interior space. Also would way rather have a tiller in a small boat in bad weather than a steering console, speaking from experience. What’s your budget?

I had a 15’ SilverStreak built about 10 years ago now. I put a 25 Hp Yamaha on it and it’s a pretty great combination I think. Lots of room and with the reverse chine it’s very stable. It doesn’t get used as much as it should but every time I do I enjoy it.

I’ve used my Lund DLX (14-1/2’) more this year than my KFisher , has a great open floor layout, live well/fishbox , lots storage , electric riggers etc , Honda 20HP pushes me and my gear 20mph, very stable capable boat, this is the Okanagan though , not the ocean….

Lund, Smokercraft Alaskan, Lifetimer, Princecraft or maybe a Cope if you get lucky. Get something with a 20” transom, and I’d go tiller steer for better control and more interior space. Also would way rather have a tiller in a small boat in bad weather than a steering console, speaking from experience. What’s your budget?
Why a cope if I get lucky? What's so special?

Big difference size wise between a smokercraft and a smokercraft ALASKAN-night and day-be aware!

I recently went the other way, from a 16' riveted aluminum with a 25hp kicker, to a 21' welded boat.
Rivets leak, which is a nuisance but not a deal breaker.
Watching the weather real close, and staying within 30 min of the launch or home, I still got whacked by a turn in the weather on short notice once in a while.
I installed manual downriggers on the 16' boat. Electric would have been nice, but manual worked.
A bit tricky to troll with a small boat but sure doable.
Winter sucks, obviously.

I see 16'-ish aluminum boats out fishing nearby all the time, in weather that would make me nervous. For nearshore fishing, they seem to have just as much fun as anyone else.

The tracker is more what I'm thinking of...my budget is 0 to not nearly enough :-) Love me a 16 footer...also like that Silver Streak open Deep-V. Not in my price range though.

But those trackers are lake boats are they not? Not sure how stable they'd be out at Race.

I'm used to crabbing from small RIBs - which I'm also happy to take fishing out by the sea lanes. They are stable and fast enough to get me out of trouble if the weather closes in. But I worry about puncturing the tubes. Aluminum would eliminate that problem, but switching to a skiff would reduce the seagoing ability a bit.

I know, I know...I want everything for nothing ;-)

Just sold a larger boat but I'm toying with the idea of getting a small open aluminum for fishing/crabbing off Victoria/Sooke. Probably around 15ft and no more than 30 horses. Two people and a dog at most. Opinions? Recommendations?

What is your budget? Low end you’re looking at a Lund, high end Silver Streak/Cope/Custom.

The tracker is more what I'm thinking of...my budget is 0 to not nearly enough :-) Love me a 16 footer...also like that Silver Streak open Deep-V. Not in my price range though.

But those trackers are lake boats are they not? Not sure how stable they'd be out at Race.

I'm used to crabbing from small RIBs - which I'm also happy to take fishing out by the sea lanes. They are stable and fast enough to get me out of trouble if the weather closes in. But I worry about puncturing the tubes. Aluminum would eliminate that problem, but switching to a skiff would reduce the seagoing ability a bit.

I know, I know...I want everything for nothing ;-)
I ran a 14’ lake boat with a 16” transom around Vancouver for 4 years. Something with a 20” transom will do much better. Don’t recommend navigating one in a 15-20 knot wind heading into the north arm of the Fraser though.

Lifetimers pop up once and a while. I have one of those Versatile welded from Chemainus. A 16 only because they didn't have a 14. Well made and less money than the LT. My only wish is that it had a bit more freeboard. Regardless, I have had it through some snotty water and it performed well. Rivet boats seem to float higher, bob, and don't need the HP.

I've had all sorts of tinnys. 20" transom is a must. Everything else is driven by budget and timing. I just sold my Lund WC14DLX (rivet) and purchased s barely used Marlon (formed and welded). Couldn't be happier. I am also a huge proponent of reliable power.

Strong recommendation for an old Gregor. Heavy duty / welded construction. Not as nice as a Lifetimer, but way better than any of the riveted options. They come up with fairly decent frequency and are typically priced comparable to riveted boats.

Strong recommendation for an old Gregor. Heavy duty / welded construction. Not as nice as a Lifetimer, but way better than any of the riveted options. They come up with fairly decent frequency and are typically priced comparable to riveted boats.
Duroboat, Klamath and Westcoaster are also good non-riveted brands to look out for.

I’m running a brand new Versatile Marine out of Chemainus. 14’er / 30 HP Yamy / mounted 8” rails to increase the freeboard…..fishing daily NW chop+ out of Comox. Boat runs fantastic in all sloppy conditions. Great builder to work with

Back