2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Any idea what is going on with the seal colonies at Pt Atkinson? They have been there for a few days in the water, not on the rocks, they seem to be rolling on the surface in a coordinated effort as a group. Are they mating this time of year? Rental boats are stopping to watch them. Consequently, don't bother fishing around there.
They do that all the time in April and early May in Miners Bay. I assumed it was mating related.

Any idea what is going on with the seal colonies at Pt Atkinson? They have been there for a few days in the water, not on the rocks, they seem to be rolling on the surface in a coordinated effort as a group. Are they mating this time of year? Rental boats are stopping to watch them. Consequently, don't bother fishing around there.

I think they're sea lions. Feeding before mating I believe

Thanks for the report. I'll be out Saturday
I just got back in from East Bowen. After the first onslaught of chinook that I couldn’t keep, I definitely had three Coho on, but took me awhile to remember not to pull too hard because of the softer mouth. Same fight as last year, that rapid thumping action on the tip, them doing the roll trying to spit the hook out, fighting on the surface. Three got off, consequently, while every chinook made it right to the boat. Don’t be surprised if people get some coho on Saturday in front of South Bowen.

I just got back in from East Bowen. After the first onslaught of chinook that I couldn’t keep, I definitely had three Coho on, but took me awhile to remember not to pull too hard because of the softer mouth. Same fight as last year, that rapid thumping action on the tip, them doing the roll trying to spit the hook out, fighting on the surface. Three got off, consequently, while every chinook made it right to the boat. Don’t be surprised if people get some coho on Saturday in front of South Bowen.

Sounds good to me! What sort of gear were you using?

Sounds good to me! What sort of gear were you using?
Pearl/Aurora hoochie with non glow blue scale/white flasher, white glow hoochie with pink mylar insert and no bananas flasher. Both hoochies were rigged with swivel at single hook n 50 lb test. 47-63 ft on riggers for coho action. Silver betsy would also be great in those shallower settings where glow doesn’t do much.

Back