WTB Lowrance hds 7, 8, 10

Hookin'up

as the title says looking for HDS 7,8 or 10 series.
think its time to upgrade my old lms-527 if the prices are right
Tim

Last year we put a Lowrance HDS-8m Multifunction Fishfinder GPS Chartplotter with the 50/200 transducer and the Lowrance LRA-1800 Radar in our Hewscraft 200 Searunner and are very happy with it so far. I thought about the HDS-10 but for the extra money I thought it wiser to put it towards the radar. The HDS-8 came with a 83/200 transducer and for around $100 we upgraded it to a 50/200. The HDS-7 has only one slot for cards while the HDS-8 & 10 has two slots. (the right hand slot is faster that the left, for your info) We put two Platinum cards in and they cover from Oregon to the south of Alaska. The HDS-8 has an internal antenna and has never lost signal, the unit is mounted against the front window. The boat came with a Lowrance LMS-334c iGPS with a gold card in it and I kept it, I also have a Garmin 76cs hand held that I plug into the cigarette lighter, so that gives me three gps units.

The sounder on our HDS-8 will hold bottom to 200 - 300ft at 30mph. The radar is astounding for a unit like this, 2k, you can run full screen or split screen or overlay it on your chart page.

On our boat I can read the screen from the back or the boat and I imagine you would be able to do the same with the 10", don't know about the 7"

HDS-7 is good, HDS-8 is better and the HDS-10 is best, all depends how big your budget is............come on, you know what B.O.A.T. stands for.......Bring Out Another Thousand........lately I'm thinking boat should be spelled BOATT.........the TT stands for Ten Thousand

Just my 2 cents worth

Dennis

Thanks for the input Dennis,
I looked long and hard at the 8's and had the same thought on the radar as you did,
if I can't find a decent used set-up I will probably go that way,
Tim

I just purchased the rig for my new boat. HDS-10, Broadband Radar, Structure Scan plus a Standard Horizon Matrix GX2150 VHF/AIS. Got the entire rig from www.radioworld.ca. Their pricing was as good as any of the US-based online retailers. Initially they told me the BR24 would take 3-4 weeks for delivery, but called the next day with one they were able to ship out immediately. Shipping took 3 business days from Toronto and was well packaged and protected.

Hey Tenmile,
thanks for the tip, I just ordered a hds-10 from them, they also
have a no tax sale on right now but it didnt reduce at check-out as stated it would,
I'll call in the am and see whats up with that!
Tim

Just checked the prices at: www.radioworld.ca, yikes, last year I paid $2000 for the upgraded HDS-8 and $1300 for the LRA-1800 Radar. Ya gotta love this electronic world, a few months later and it's cheaper & it's obsolete. In a Hewscraft 200 I didn't feel I had the room/space to mount the HDS-10, if I wanted to keep the LMS-334c in there also.

Good luck with the HDS-10................$2199 + $100 (upgrade transducer) = $2299 and I paid $2000 for a HDS-8...................for $300 I would have stuffed it in there. I'm sure you will like it.

Also heard that the platinum+ card is way better but doesn't cover as much area, but more info.

Don't know where you fish but if your up in Nootka Sound anytime between June 21 until July 4 & July 26 until Aug. 8 we will be at Moutcha Bay Resort plying the waters of Nootka Sound and the outside.

Dennis

I didnt see any upgrade transducer for this, just a single frequency for a 100.00

Hey Ten,
I see there is a 500.00 mail in rebate for that BR24 you got,
didnt know if you were aware or not.
Tim

Yeah, the 500 rebate is good till end of May. They just introduced a new broadband radar that is more powerful and cheaper, but we wont see it until September.

Pick up the new boat this weekend, and Ive got a couple months of projects making it fishy...

Just checked the prices at: www.radioworld.ca, yikes, last year I paid $2000 for the upgraded HDS-8 and $1300 for the LRA-1800 Radar. Ya gotta love this electronic world, a few months later and it's cheaper & it's obsolete. In a Hewscraft 200 I didn't feel I had the room/space to mount the HDS-10, if I wanted to keep the LMS-334c in there also.

Good luck with the HDS-10................$2199 + $100 (upgrade transducer) = $2299 and I paid $2000 for a HDS-8...................for $300 I would have stuffed it in there. I'm sure you will like it.

Also heard that the platinum+ card is way better but doesn't cover as much area, but more info.

Don't know where you fish but if your up in Nootka Sound anytime between June 21 until July 4 & July 26 until Aug. 8 we will be at Moutcha Bay Resort plying the waters of Nootka Sound and the outside.

Dennis

Hey Dennis, thanks for the invite, I would love to make it over there and one of these days I will,
I bought platinum+ from another member here but havent used it in my old unit yet now I cant wait to see it in HD,
I am going to add broadband radar here in the future but as Tenmile says there is a newer, better and cheaper unit coming around september sometime
so I'll probably wait till then,
thanks for the input
Tim

Here is the link to the new one: http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Broadband-Radar/

Panbo review here: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/04/navico_broadband_radar_3g_better_range_lower_cost.html

Note however, that where the new guy is better is for distances 6+ miles out. For most of us Sport Fishing dudes -- it's nearly impossible to see 6+ miles with radar as our boats are too close to the water. With the $500 rebate, the BR24 does actually come in about $200 cheaper than the new unit -- however -- nothing wrong with waiting.

Here is the link to the $500 rebate -- gidyup made me remember to print and send it in: http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Documents/Rebates/Lowrance BR24 Rebate Offer 30012 7X8.pdf

The upgrade from 83/200 to 50/200 was through the dealer/boat place I was dealing with, not with where they were getting it from.

Has anyone found a good source for the Navionics charts either online or locally?

Has anyone found a good source for the Navionics charts either online or locally?

pm Battle Bay I think he had another platinum+ for sale

The upgrade from 83/200 to 50/200 was through the dealer/boat place I was dealing with, not with where they were getting it from.

Ah I see,
I already have the 50/200 on mine now so I'm pretty much just changing out the head units should be the easiest install I've ever done
lowrance says all my existing ducers and and network sensors will just plug into the new unit how cool is that!
Tim

I just contacted RadioWorld -- didn't realize they were having a no-tax sale -- it wasn't on when I placed my order last week. Trying to see if they will cut me a good deal on a Navionics Platinum.

Back