Wood stove recommendations

Also, if we load it right up and let it catch good before we shut it down we can get 18 or more hours burn
Thank Clint.. must be pre-EPA 2020 also? I've looked at these PE stoves. They are all EPA 2020 cert now, of course, so wondering how the new ones work vs ones of your stove's vintage. This is the one that was recco'd to me, and it at least looks a lot like yours in design.

I think the non-catalytic EPA 2020 stoves are likely my best bet.........
Had a look and my stove was manufactured in 2015 and is not 2020 epa certified. Mines 1990 epa. They must be slow to change things lol. I’ll look online tonight and see if there’s any difference inside. Outside, it looks like they’re basically the same aside from the draft.

Thanks for the info. Do you have just a temporary smoke spillage, or does it keep coming out even if you give a small crack to promote draw up the stack?

Just tired of having our family room smell like smoke every day. No good for the lungs, and we get enough smoke in the summer months these days from the damn forest fires!
Smoke spills out when reloading. I find I haven’t really needed to crack the door to help with draw, it draws nicely. I think in my case the smoke roils around the box as a result of the air-wash system and so spills out when the door opens. But it’s such a good burner I only open it maybe 2-3x a night, and then only for a couple seconds to put wood in.

We’ve had a Blaze King “Ashford “ model for several years. It’s well made and clean burning. Check out their website.
T2

I had that exact same regency stove for 10 years and I just replaced it with the Pacific Energy Super Le in October. The Pacific Energy is a far superior stove, burns way less wood, and cost about $500 less. I assume the only reason it cost less is because it is made locally (Duncan) and there is less shipping costs. (Gotta love a locally made product)
made

I also have a poorly drafting chimney. It is 3 storeys and it has 3 bends and it is only a 5 inch diameter stainless steel flu and the PE works great. When adding wood I always open the draft first and that makes certain that no smoke enters the house.

I could not get one of those Catalytic stoves with my Chimney setup and poor draft, so the PE was the best choice.

I went with the basic stove, no flashy chrome or legs, and I think the look is fine.

PS make sure you have a fresh air intake in your room. I believe by code you need a 4 inch diameter duct if you have a wood stove.
If you did a reno, you might have installed new doors and windows that might have made your room too air tight, and made your draft problem worse.

I recently purchased a Supreme Novo 24, which was selected by our client. I am very disappointed with it. The firebox is impressive. However, the rest of the design is seriously deficient in terms of heating efficiency.
The most glaring problem is with the “fresh air kit”. The brochure states, “The fresh air system is an optional kit intended to bring combustion air into the stove from an exterior source. A careful choice of words, “into the stove”, while true, nevertheless results in misleading advertising.

This deceptively implies that, with this kit, combustion air is drawn directly from the exterior of the house into the firebox. This would be the most efficient configuration if it were true. But, it is not true.

The “fresh air kit” simply routes cold air into the outer enclosure of the stove, allowing the cold exterior air to dump on the floor when the stove is idle, and to just mix with circulated air when it is working. A simple hole in the wall would perform the same ineffective function.

The second problem is with the blower. An effective design would pull air only from outside the stove and then direct it all around the firebox to exit from the front. The blower in this unit does not do that. It is not ducted in any manner. It is simply an open squirrel cage in the back of the stove that creates some turbulence, mixing room air with air from the fresh air kit, and expelling some of the mix out the front of the stove.

For $4,000, I expect better engineering and design. You can easily do much better. This stove was selected by a client. The defects have been explained to the client, but they have chosen to keep it, due to time constraints on completing their home. If I had ordered it for myself, I would return it immediately.

I compared a lot of brands and ended up purchasing a Pacific energy. It’s pre 2020 but their components are hard to beat. Stainless baffle instead of vermiculite, which will eventually break down and need replacing before stainless. Higher quality glass, higher quality fan, everything on the PE’s is quality, no cutting corners. Had ours for 10 years now, definitely get the Wett certification, cuts down on house insurance costs.🍻

I recently purchased a Supreme Novo 24, which was selected by our client. I am very disappointed with it. The firebox is impressive. However, the rest of the design is seriously deficient in terms of heating efficiency.
The most glaring problem is with the “fresh air kit”. The brochure states, “The fresh air system is an optional kit intended to bring combustion air into the stove from an exterior source. A careful choice of words, “into the stove”, while true, nevertheless results in misleading advertising.

This deceptively implies that, with this kit, combustion air is drawn directly from the exterior of the house into the firebox. This would be the most efficient configuration if it were true. But, it is not true.

The “fresh air kit” simply routes cold air into the outer enclosure of the stove, allowing the cold exterior air to dump on the floor when the stove is idle, and to just mix with circulated air when it is working. A simple hole in the wall would perform the same ineffective function.

The second problem is with the blower. An effective design would pull air only from outside the stove and then direct it all around the firebox to exit from the front. The blower in this unit does not do that. It is not ducted in any manner. It is simply an open squirrel cage in the back of the stove that creates some turbulence, mixing room air with air from the fresh air kit, and expelling some of the mix out the front of the stove.

For $4,000, I expect better engineering and design. You can easily do much better. This stove was selected by a client. The defects have been explained to the client, but they have chosen to keep it, due to time constraints on completing their home. If I had ordered it for myself, I would return it immediately.
We're installing a Stuv unit (not cheap) at our current project and it has the same lame "fresh air kit". It's nothing but a 4" pipe that sits below the unit. We were told we'd still need to provide make up air to the house to prevent back drafting. It all seems pretty archaic to be installed into a Net Zero home.

Yeaappp.. we went with the Supreme Novo 24 as well (it did not get my vote, but wife loved the look). As you said, the firebox is impressive, the glass is expansive, and the stove looks beautiful, but we've been super disappointed with it in terms of operation.

The concept that you have to set a full fire, then cannot open the door to "tinker" or add more logs until the initial fire has fully burnt down to embers (with no HINT of flame) is totally ridiculous. If you need to tinker (which often, one does), or would like to add more logs (which always, one does), and you do it before fire has burnt down, smoke billows out. It's super frustrating.

The whole new EPA standards and subsequent design basically starve this stove for air, and prevent it from drawing up enough air to suck the smoke up chimney (unless the chimney is hot as blazes and helps the draw). We have a Regency at our place on the Sunshine Coast (circa 2014 model?). Works like a hot damn and puts out WAY more heat, Way faster. I am also yet to have a fire burn all the way through the night with the Novo, even when I load her up with cured hardwood at midnight. Weak.

We'll probably swap it out this fall. Sucks. Waste of money and time, but I'm tired of succumbing to its foibles.

Yeaappp.. we went with the Supreme Novo 24 as well (it did not get my vote, but wife loved the look). As you said, the firebox is impressive, the glass is expansive, and the stove looks beautiful, but we've been super disappointed with it in terms of operation.

The concept that you have to set a full fire, then cannot open the door to "tinker" or add more logs until the initial fire has fully burnt down to embers (with no HINT of flame) is totally ridiculous. If you need to tinker (which often, one does), or would like to add more logs (which always, one does), and you do it before fire has burnt down, smoke billows out. It's super frustrating.

The whole new EPA standards and subsequent design basically starve this stove for air, and prevent it from drawing up enough air to suck the smoke up chimney (unless the chimney is hot as blazes and helps the draw). We have a Regency at our place on the Sunshine Coast (circa 2014 model?). Works like a hot damn and puts out WAY more heat, Way faster. I am also yet to have a fire burn all the way through the night with the Novo, even when I load her up with cured hardwood at midnight. Weak.

We'll probably swap it out this fall. Sucks. Waste of money and time, but I'm tired of succumbing to its foibles.
Glad i saw this. I was looking at the Supreme Fusion 24 and Lumis 32 inserts....
Pretty sure i'll end up with a regency or pacific energy...

Back